Hello all,

Yesterday I left an application running with cayenne on a tomcat server (left
the browser opened), using JNDI, and when I came today and tried to use it again
I got the error in attachment. It seems mysql resetted the connection with
cayenne during the night. One of the things that made me choose Cayenne over
Hibernate was under the assumption that connections were made with the database
server only when needed (on performQuery or commitChanges) but on this situation
it seemed that the connection was permanently opened and cayenne tried to use it
again (like hibernate).

Perhaps I am doing something wrong and so I needed some clarification on this
issue.

Thank you

Bruno Santos

Search Discussions

  • Bruno René Santos at Oct 28, 2010 at 11:32 am
    Also when i undeploy a portlet with cayenne embedded on it i get the error

    SEVERE: A web application appears to have started a thread named
    [cayenne-edt-2855942-4] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create
    a memory leak.

    28/Out/2010 12:29:56 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
    clearReferencesThreads

    Several times, which also means, I think, that the connection is on.

    Thanx

    Enviada: quinta-feira, 28 de Outubro de 2010 11:00
    Para: user@cayenne.apache.org
    Assunto: MySQL error - connection reset

    Hello all,

    Yesterday I left an application running with cayenne on a tomcat server (left
    the browser opened), using JNDI, and when I came today and tried to use it again
    I got the error in attachment. It seems mysql resetted the connection with
    cayenne during the night. One of the things that made me choose Cayenne over
    Hibernate was under the assumption that connections were made with the database
    server only when needed (on performQuery or commitChanges) but on this situation
    it seemed that the connection was permanently opened and cayenne tried to use it
    again (like hibernate).

    Perhaps I am doing something wrong and so I needed some clarification on this
    issue.

    Thank you

    Bruno Santos
  • Michael Gentry at Oct 28, 2010 at 1:24 pm
    I believe this was fixed in 3.0.1.

    Para: user@cayenne.apache.org

    Hello all,

    Yesterday I left an application running with cayenne on a tomcat server (left
    the browser opened), using JNDI, and when I came today and tried to use it again
    I got the error in attachment. It seems mysql resetted the connection with
    cayenne during the night. One of the things that made me choose Cayenne over
    Hibernate was under the assumption that connections were made with the database
    server only when needed (on performQuery or commitChanges) but on this situation
    it seemed that the connection was permanently opened and cayenne tried to use it
    again (like hibernate).

    Perhaps I am doing something wrong and so I needed some clarification on this
    issue.

    Thank you

    Bruno Santos
  • Andrus Adamchik at Oct 28, 2010 at 1:57 pm
    It was for the users of org.apache.cayenne.conf.WebApplicationContextFilter. If an app bootstraps Cayenne on its own, I would suggest emulating this filter's "destroy" method in an appropriate servlet or filter:

    public void destroy() {
    Configuration config = Configuration.getSharedConfiguration();
    if (config != null) {
    config.shutdown();

    Andrus

    Also when i undeploy a portlet with cayenne embedded on it i get the error

    SEVERE: A web application appears to have started a thread named
    [cayenne-edt-2855942-4] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create
    a memory leak.

    28/Out/2010 12:29:56 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
    clearReferencesThreads

    Several times, which also means, I think, that the connection is on.

    Thanx
  • Borut Bolčina at Oct 28, 2010 at 1:23 pm
    Hi,

    if you are using dbcp.properties, do you have something like

    cayenne.dbcp.validationQuery="SELECT 1 FROM one_of_your_table"

    -Borut

    Yesterday I left an application running with cayenne on a tomcat server
    (left the browser opened), using JNDI, and when I came today and tried to
    use it again I got the error in attachment. It seems mysql resetted the
    connection with cayenne during the night. One of the things that made me
    choose Cayenne over Hibernate was under the assumption that connections were
    made with the database server only when needed (on performQuery or
    commitChanges) but on this situation it seemed that the connection was
    permanently opened and cayenne tried to use it again (like hibernate).

    Perhaps I am doing something wrong and so I needed some clarification on
    this issue.

    Thank you

    Bruno Santos
  • Michael Gentry at Oct 28, 2010 at 1:23 pm
    Hi Bruno,

    Are you using Cayenne's connection pooling mechanism or something
    provided by the container? Either should automatically reconnect for
    you.

    mrg
    Yesterday I left an application running with cayenne on a tomcat server
    (left the browser opened), using JNDI, and when I came today and tried to
    use it again I got the error in attachment. It seems mysql resetted the
    connection with cayenne during the night. One of the things that made me
    choose Cayenne over Hibernate was under the assumption that connections were
    made with the database server only when needed (on performQuery or
    commitChanges) but on this situation it seemed that the connection was
    permanently opened and cayenne tried to use it again (like hibernate).

    Perhaps I am doing something wrong and so I needed some clarification on
    this issue.

    Thank you

    Bruno Santos
  • Bruno René Santos at Oct 28, 2010 at 1:47 pm
    Hi Michael,

    I am using cayenne 3.0.1 and I create a datacontext with
    DataContext.createDataContext(), using a JNDI connection pool configured on the
    context.xml on tomcat.

    Thanx
    Bruno

    Enviada: quinta-feira, 28 de Outubro de 2010 14:23
    Para: user@cayenne.apache.org
    Assunto: Re: MySQL error - connection reset

[...]

  • Bruno René Santos at Oct 28, 2010 at 1:56 pm
    Also I am using tomcat 6.0.26 with liferay.

    Thanx
    Bruno

    Para: user@cayenne.apache.org

[...]

groupuser @