Although many of you have been using Cayenne 3 in production for some time now, we figured it was about time we formally released 3.0 to let everyone else know how robust this branch is. Today we have the great pleasure in releasing Cayenne 3.0 beta 1. This means that only bug fixes will be applied and no more features or API changes will be introduced to the Cayenne library until after the final 3.0 release. Cayenne Modeler is not yet frozen, so there may be a few more changes going in to the Modeler before the next beta.

Depending on bug reports, there will be several more betas and release candidates before the final release within the next few months.

This is a perfect time to upgrade your development environment from Cayenne 1.2 or 2.0 to the 3.0 beta. We want to know about any issues you face with using Cayenne in your project. The perfect time to get those problems fixed quickly is right now with all the developers focused on putting the final polish on the release. An overview of the major changes in 3.0 is available:

http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/guide-to-30-features.html

We have a simple upgrade guide for users of previous releases:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/main/tags/3.0B1/docs/doc/src/main/resources/UPGRADE.txt

Rather than try to cover the dozens of features and bug fixes since the last milestone, here's a glimpse of just one new feature: "Allow providing custom INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE query builders". This means, for example, that you can override the default behaviour and instead of actually deleting records, you could have Cayenne update them with a 'deleted' flag. Combine that with a qualifier to suppress the 'deleted' records, and you have a powerful way to maintain an auditable archive of data. This milestone has much more; read about it here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/main/tags/3.0B1/docs/doc/src/main/resources/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

Please download the beta and give Cayenne 3 a spin. We hope you enjoy it.

http://cayenne.apache.org/download.html

Best regards from the Cayenne development team.

--

-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

  • Borut Bolčina at Nov 10, 2009 at 7:44 am
    Great! Thanks for your effort. Expect some good news from me also in a week
    :-)

    -Borut

[...]

groupuser @
categoriescayenne