Hey guys--

I'm attempting to model some inheritance for the first time and it's not
working yet. Here's my situation:

My model is to have a non-abstract parent class->table and then
subclass->tables like so:

First I should doublecheck to make sure my mapping XML looks OK:

<db-entity name="ASSET_CONTENT">
<db-attribute name="CONTENT_TYPE" type="VARCHAR" length="50"/>
<db-attribute name="ID" type="INTEGER" isPrimaryKey="true"
isGenerated="true" isMandatory="true"/>
</db-entity>
<db-entity name="IMAGE_ASSET_CONTENT">
<db-attribute name="HEIGHT" type="INTEGER"/>
<db-attribute name="ID" type="INTEGER" isPrimaryKey="true"
isMandatory="true"/>
<db-attribute name="WIDTH" type="INTEGER"/>
</db-entity>
<obj-entity name="AssetContent"
className="com.routeto1.asset.filesystem.AssetContent"
lock-type="optimistic" dbEntityName="ASSET_CONTENT"
superClassName="com.routeto1.data.impl.DynamicDataObject">
<obj-attribute name="contentType" type="java.lang.String"
db-attribute-path="CONTENT_TYPE"/>
<pre-persist method-name="prePersist"/>
</obj-entity>
<obj-entity name="ImageAssetContent" superEntityName="AssetContent"
className="com.routeto1.asset.filesystem.ImageAssetContent"
lock-type="optimistic" dbEntityName="IMAGE_ASSET_CONTENT">
<qualifier><![CDATA[contentType = "IMAGE"]]></qualifier>
<obj-attribute name="height" type="java.lang.Integer"
db-attribute-path="HEIGHT"/>
<obj-attribute name="width" type="java.lang.Integer"
db-attribute-path="WIDTH"/>
</obj-entity>

Not sure if I need to provide you any more than that. Cayenne accepts the
config fine, but when I create a new ImageAssetContent and save it, Cayenne
only saves to the IMAGE_ASSET_CONTENT table:

2009-09-24 10:30:53,602 INFO [org.apache.cayenne.access.QueryLogger] -
<INSERT INTO IMAGE_ASSET_CONTENT (HEIGHT, ID, WIDTH) VALUES (?, ?, ?)>
2009-09-24 10:30:53,656 INFO [org.apache.cayenne.access.QueryLogger] -
<[batch bind: 1->HEIGHT:440, 2->ID:220, 3->WIDTH:495]>

I've confirmed that there is data in the object that should be getting saved
to the ASSET_CONTENT table but is not.

What's also interesting is that it is pulling an auto PK value (this is
running on a Derby DB for testing):

2009-09-24 10:30:53,258 INFO [org.apache.cayenne.access.QueryLogger] -
<SELECT NEXT_ID FROM AUTO_PK_SUPPORT WHERE TABLE_NAME = ? FOR UPDATE [bind:
1:'IMAGE_ASSET_CONTENT']>

Not so interesting that it's pulling one, but for IMAGE_ASSET_CONTENT? I'd
assume it would be pulling for ASSET_CONTENT and reusing that ID in both the
parent and child tables.

Am I missing something really basic?

I've tested this on 3.0 M5 and M6 with same results.

Dave

Search Discussions

  • Michael Gentry at Sep 24, 2009 at 5:46 pm
    You are trying to do multiple-table inheritance?

    Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe that has been implemented yet.
    Cayenne can do in-table inheritance using a discriminator column.

[...]

  • Dave Lamy at Sep 24, 2009 at 6:00 pm
    Yes, I'm attempting vertical multiple-table inheritance. I was assuming
    functionality based upon this document:

    http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/inheritance-overview.html

    which had this section:
    Vertical (joined) inheritance

    This final approach requires one table per subclass plus one table for the
    superclass. All attributes found in the superclass are stored in this
    additional table. This is particularly useful when you have lots of common
    attributes or relations to other entities. Perhaps Person is subclassed by
    Student, Teacher, Parent, AdminStaff, Visitor and Applicant. But all these
    entities are allowed to borrow books from the library. Now, rather than
    creating 6 relationships between each of these tables to the Loan table, you
    can create a single relationship between Person and Loan.

    Superclass: abstract or concrete
    Class designator column: required
    Primary key: in superclass. Copied into subclass to form the one-to-one
    join.

    Perhaps this is not yet implemented? :-(

    Dave

[...]

  • Michael Gentry at Sep 24, 2009 at 6:18 pm
    I believe single-table and horizontal have been implemented, but I
    don't think vertical has been implemented yet. There is still an open
    ticket for vertical inheritance:

[...]

  • Dave Lamy at Sep 24, 2009 at 6:21 pm
    Crap. OK. Nothing like an occasional reminder of what happens when you
    assume things.

    Thanks for the tip Michael-- I'll just use another method for now.

    Dave

    On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 12:46 PM, Michael Gentry <mgentry@masslight.net
[...]

  • Michael Gentry at Sep 24, 2009 at 6:27 pm
    I faked vertical inheritance on a previous project. It is a little
    more manual/tedious, but works. Mostly. I had to manually manage the
    relationships (such as when I created a new subclass instance, create
    the superclass instance/relationship at the same time). You could use
    a listener/callback to automate that, though, so not too bad. The
    harder thing to remember was when doing a query you had to remember to
    follow the relationships in they keypath yourself. Java might see the
    superclass getters/setters in the subclass, but the DB doesn't. So
    you have to always remember to do "superclass.whatever" when making an
    expression that involves something off the superclass.

[...]

groupuser @
categoriescayenne
postedSep 24, '09 at 5:11p
activeSep 24, '09 at 6:27p
websitecayenne.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Dave Lamy: 3 posts Michael Gentry: 3 posts