I'm looking at upgrading a medium to large app from cayenne 2.0.3 to
3.0 M3.
It's a tapestry3/cayenne application. I looked over http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/upgrade.html
.
The only thing listed there that may bite me is that the app makes
some use of Derived db entities, so I'll have to fix that.
I also seem to recall from the list that using setPersistenceState as
a location for initializing properties of new objects is deprecated in
favor of using the lifecycle callbacks.
Anything else major?

TIA!

Robert

Search Discussions

  • Michael Gentry at Mar 31, 2008 at 8:25 pm
    Are you planning on sticking with Classic Cayenne or using JPA?
    Classic Cayenne is mostly the same, although there have been Java
    generics additions (for good or bad), etc. You've noticed the
    lifecycle stuff.

    /dev/mrg

    On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:32 PM, Robert Zeigler
    I'm looking at upgrading a medium to large app from cayenne 2.0.3 to
    3.0 M3.
    It's a tapestry3/cayenne application. I looked over http://cayenne.apache.org/doc/upgrade.html
    .
    The only thing listed there that may bite me is that the app makes
    some use of Derived db entities, so I'll have to fix that.
    I also seem to recall from the list that using setPersistenceState as
    a location for initializing properties of new objects is deprecated in
    favor of using the lifecycle callbacks.
    Anything else major?

    TIA!

    Robert
  • Robert Zeigler at Mar 31, 2008 at 9:00 pm
    I'll be sticking with classic cayenne.

    I've noticed the generic additions... mostly, I think that's a
    positive thing, but I think there could be some improvements in the
    generic definitions.
    I'll submit jiras as I encounter them.

    Robert
[...]

  • Andrus Adamchik at Mar 31, 2008 at 9:09 pm
    Anything else major?
    I think the upgrade URL has all the major things summarized.
    mostly, I think that's a positive thing, but I think there could be
    some improvements in the generic definitions.
    I'll submit jiras as I encounter them.
    Good or bad (ok, context.newObject(..) no longer requires a cast,
    that's cool), but for us this was mainly a reaction to the reality of
    the Java 5 world, with Eclipse warnings on non-generics collections
    and other "nice" things. So yeah, now let's do our best to take
    advantage of this facility, since we can't simply ignore it anymore :-)

    Andrus

[...]

groupuser @
categoriescayenne
postedMar 31, '08 at 7:33p