I am modelling again. I thought it might be a good thing to have a
column named "comment". B/c mysql does support column comments (not
sure on others yet). In addition the comment could be used for
generating javadoc comments on the generated java entities.

Search Discussions

  • Michael Gentry at Oct 19, 2011 at 2:19 pm
    Hi Christian,

    We have a long-open JIRA to support JavaDocs. It just hasn't been
    implemented yet. A similar comment could also be stuffed in the DB
    "comment", too. Having it as a column in the Modeler, though, is
    probably not too workable as a decent comment is bound to be much
    longer than you can fit in a small cell, so we'd have to do something
    different.

    mrg

    On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:36 AM, Christian Grobmeier
    I am modelling again. I thought it might be a good thing to have a
    column named "comment". B/c mysql does support column comments (not
    sure on others yet). In addition the comment could be used for
    generating javadoc comments on the generated java entities.
  • Andrus Adamchik at Oct 20, 2011 at 4:42 pm
    Actually the discussion specifically about modeling DB comments (whether with direct correspondence to javadocs or not) was also a hot topic some years ago on this list. IIRC one of the problems was that JDBC metadata won't let us access the comments during reverse engineering. I am currently neutral to the idea. But let's discuss the details if others find it useful.

    Javadocs was a separate thing. Also, let's start looking at what's involved.

    Cheers,
    Andrus

    We have a long-open JIRA to support JavaDocs. It just hasn't been
    implemented yet. A similar comment could also be stuffed in the DB
    "comment", too. Having it as a column in the Modeler, though, is
    probably not too workable as a decent comment is bound to be much
    longer than you can fit in a small cell, so we'd have to do something
    different.

    mrg

    On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 5:36 AM, Christian Grobmeier
    I am modelling again. I thought it might be a good thing to have a
    column named "comment". B/c mysql does support column comments (not
    sure on others yet). In addition the comment could be used for
    generating javadoc comments on the generated java entities.
  • Aristedes Maniatis at Oct 19, 2011 at 10:19 pm

    I am modelling again. I thought it might be a good thing to have a
    column named "comment". B/c mysql does support column comments (not
    sure on others yet). In addition the comment could be used for
    generating javadoc comments on the generated java entities.
    Yes, there was a Jira and even some code attached to it (written by an intern at my company). That was to create generate Info fields attached to tables, attributes and relations in the modeler and accessible at runtime or by cgen.

    It would be really useful, but I can't find the task.

    Ari

    --
    -------------------------->
    Aristedes Maniatis

    Aristedes Maniatis-2 wrote:
    I am modelling again. I thought it might be a good thing to have a
    column named "comment". B/c mysql does support column comments (not
    sure on others yet). In addition the comment could be used for
    generating javadoc comments on the generated java entities.
    Yes, there was a Jira and even some code attached to it (written by an
    intern at my company). That was to create generate Info fields attached to
    tables, attributes and relations in the modeler and accessible at runtime
    or by cgen.

    It would be really useful, but I can't find the task.
    I think is this one[1]. It would be nice to be able add a comment or
    description for some elements in the modeler.

    Regards,

    Gilberto
    [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-56

  • Aristedes Maniatis at Oct 20, 2011 at 9:26 pm

    I am modelling again. I thought it might be a good thing to have a
    column named "comment". B/c mysql does support column comments (not
    sure on others yet). In addition the comment could be used for
    generating javadoc comments on the generated java entities.
    Yes, there was a Jira and even some code attached to it (written by an
    intern at my company). That was to create generate Info fields attached to
    tables, attributes and relations in the modeler and accessible at runtime
    or by cgen.

    It would be really useful, but I can't find the task.
    I think is this one[1]. It would be nice to be able add a comment or
    description for some elements in the modeler.

    Regards,

    Gilberto
    [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-56

    Ah, and this one https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-400 is the general "user attributes" task which has some code. But that code needed a fair bit of cleaning up.