Hello folks,

a new proposal will arrive at the incubator the next few days:
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DirectMemoryProposal

It is a cache implementation similar to OSCache. Now I know about the
discussion of the OSCache usage the past weeks and thought, this might
be a good chance for Cayenne to bring in own needs etc.

I told the guys that Cayenne might benefit from this new lib. They
liked that idea very much, so it seems.

Anyway, they asked me if some of you would like to step up to this
proposal, either as an initial committer or mentor. I think this is a
great opportunity!

Please let me know so I can tell the people and sign up at the
proposal link above. Any questions, shout! :-)

Cheers,
Christian

Search Discussions

  • Andrus Adamchik at Sep 20, 2011 at 9:30 am
    I can't mentor any more projects. I am mentoring Wave and also incoming OpenMeetings.

    The idea is great, and as long as it is not as invasive as Terracotta, we'll definitely be interested to try it out and give feedback. The usability of DirectMemory in Cayenne depends on

    * the API model they provide to the applications
    * whether we can build a cache adapter with groups support
    * on speed of serialization with LOCAL and SHARED cache. (I'd imagine it will be more appropriate for SHARED, as it stores DataRows with no relationships and detached from the context).

    Andrus
    a new proposal will arrive at the incubator the next few days:
    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DirectMemoryProposal

    It is a cache implementation similar to OSCache. Now I know about the
    discussion of the OSCache usage the past weeks and thought, this might
    be a good chance for Cayenne to bring in own needs etc.

    I told the guys that Cayenne might benefit from this new lib. They
    liked that idea very much, so it seems.

    Anyway, they asked me if some of you would like to step up to this
    proposal, either as an initial committer or mentor. I think this is a
    great opportunity!

    Please let me know so I can tell the people and sign up at the
    proposal link above. Any questions, shout! :-)

    Cheers,
    Christian
  • Andrus Adamchik at Sep 20, 2011 at 1:56 pm
    Looking at my reply, the first paragraph came out a bit brash. Didn't mean it to sound that way :)

    Certainly a great proposal, and looks like it has already generated quite some interest in the Incubator. So good luck, and keep us posted. We are definitely interested to try it out as a Cayenne cache provider.

    Cheers,
    Andrus

[...]

  • Christian Grobmeier at Sep 20, 2011 at 2:15 pm

    Looking at my reply, the first paragraph came out a bit brash. Didn't mean it to sound that way :)
    no worries, i didn't get it wrong :-)
    Certainly a great proposal, and looks like it has already generated quite some interest in the Incubator. So good luck, and keep us posted. We are definitely interested to try it out as a Cayenne cache provider.
    Will keep you posted. Anyway any other Cayenne committer is welcome
    to, either as dev, mentor whatever.

    Another question- DirectMemory is currently looking for a sponsor. One
    of the thing which has been discussed internally was if Cayenne would
    sponsor it. After incubation it would be expected that DM is an
    subproject of Cayenne. As the implementation is basically a general
    one, I have some feeling it would make a good TLD. On the other hand,
    it can be made a TLD later and could start as Cayenne-Subproject. This
    might have benefits for all sides.

    How do you (all) feel about this?

    Cheers
    Christian

    Cheers,
    Andrus

    --
    http://www.grobmeier.de
  • Andrus Adamchik at Sep 20, 2011 at 2:29 pm

    To me the main criteria for a subproject would be a significant overlap in the committer/PMC base between the 2 projects. Otherwise we are just impeding the community development IMO.

    Consider that DirectMemory becoming a Cayenne subproject would mean that Cayenne PMC will need to vote on DirectMemory releases. This doesn't make much sense with the current PMC composition (we have no people involved in DirectMemory development on the current PMC). If we vote in DirectMemory folks to the Cayenne PMC, and they will vote on DirectMemory releases, while we'll vote on Cayenne releases, we still don't have a cohesive PMC, and there's no reason why DirectMemory can't be a TLP in that later case anyways.

    Hope this makes sense.

    Andrus

[...]

  • Christian Grobmeier at Sep 20, 2011 at 2:36 pm
    Makes sense to me - I feel similar. But I needed to ask, because one
    of the core developers was a huge fan of Cayenne in the past ;-)
[...]

  • Andrus Adamchik at Sep 20, 2011 at 2:57 pm
    Saw your message on the board list. Whatever the Incubator docs might say, I think you are looking for Incubator PMC sponsorship with the goal to become a TLP.

    Andrus

[...]

  • Christian Grobmeier at Sep 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm

    Saw your message on the board list. Whatever the Incubator docs might say, I think you are looking for Incubator PMC sponsorship with the goal to become a TLP.
    Are you sure on that?
    http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Sponsor
    They say only if I don't know where the project goes afterwards, then
    I should use the IPMC sponsorship

    oh dear........ i hate it when something like that happens :-(
    Andrus

[...]

  • Andrus Adamchik at Sep 20, 2011 at 3:12 pm
    Yes, I am sure based on past precedents. You can check any recent proposals with no explicit goal to become a subproject:

    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/WaveProposal
    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal

    etc.
    Saw your message on the board list. Whatever the Incubator docs might say, I think you are looking for Incubator PMC sponsorship with the goal to become a TLP.
    Are you sure on that?
    http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Sponsor
    They say only if I don't know where the project goes afterwards, then
    I should use the IPMC sponsorship

    oh dear........ i hate it when something like that happens :-(
  • Christian Grobmeier at Sep 20, 2011 at 3:14 pm
    thanks Andrus.

    I will discuss this misleading paragraph on the Incubator list.
    Yes, I am sure based on past precedents. You can check any recent proposals with no explicit goal to become a subproject:

    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/WaveProposal
    http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenOfficeProposal

    etc.
    Saw your message on the board list. Whatever the Incubator docs might say, I think you are looking for Incubator PMC sponsorship with the goal to become a TLP.
    Are you sure on that?
    http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Sponsor
    They say only if I don't know where the project goes afterwards, then
    I should use the IPMC sponsorship

    oh dear........ i hate it when something like that happens :-(

    --
    http://www.grobmeier.de

groupdev @
categoriescayenne