Grokbase Groups Cayenne dev July 2011
On top of our other woes with certain Maven deps not being available on central, we have to support starting the Modeler from Maven. E.g.: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-1580 So I am coming back to the question of "do we care to support maven-cayenne-modeler-plugin":

http://cayenne.apache.org/doc30/maven2-modeler.html

? We had a discussion about it some years ago, but I am still puzzled who would use it.

If we decide that we need to keep supporting it, somebody needs to take care of the deps. If we fail to submit them all to central, one option may be rolling out a real Maven repo manager on objectstyle.org (probably Nexus) and start maintaining all our dependencies there.

(maybe this is the question for the user list also)

Andrus

Search Discussions

  • Michael Gentry at Jul 6, 2011 at 1:08 pm
    Would it surprise you that I found at least two guys here running CM
    out of Maven? I hope so, because it surprised me. This was on OS X,
    too, and it looked pretty pathetic. I've since convinced them to use
    the .app, but there are definitely people out there who use it from
    Maven.

    mrg

    PS. That's not to imply supporting it is a requirement.

    On top of our other woes with certain Maven deps not being available on central, we have to support starting the Modeler from Maven. E.g.: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAY-1580 So I am coming back to the question of "do we care to support maven-cayenne-modeler-plugin":

    http://cayenne.apache.org/doc30/maven2-modeler.html

    ? We had a discussion about it some years ago, but I am still puzzled who would use it.

    If we decide that we need to keep supporting it, somebody needs to take care of the deps. If we fail to submit them all to central, one option may be rolling out a real Maven repo manager on objectstyle.org (probably Nexus) and start maintaining all our dependencies there.

    (maybe this is the question for the user list also)

    Andrus
  • Robert Zeigler at Jul 6, 2011 at 2:16 pm
    I'm on OSX. And I often use the mvn plugin. I do a lot of from-command-line work, and the plugin does a good job, usually, of finding the model files for a maven project. Combined with some wrapper scripts, I can be anywhere in the project directory structure and open the modeler in an instant. I'm willing to put in the time/effort to keep it up-to-date, but we would still need to resolve the dependencies problem. Do we put them in objectstyle's repo. and add a reference to the repository in the modeler plugin's pom?

    Robert
[...]

  • Michael Gentry at Jul 6, 2011 at 2:34 pm
    A problem with the ObjectStyle repo, at least for us, and I suspect
    others, is it isn't trusted by our firewall and we can't download
    through it. They opened the main Apache repos for us, but most
    everything else is locked down.

    mrg

    On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 10:16 AM, Robert Zeigler
[...]

  • Andrus Adamchik at Jul 6, 2011 at 4:47 pm
    Robert, Thanks for offering help. Let's maybe start by analyzing the list of dependencies that come out from external repos (e.g. by commenting out all references to such external repos in all poms, and trying to build both Cayenne and the Modeler with a clean local repo). If we are lucky and can find all the sources, we can prepare the bundles and submit them to Central:

    https://docs.sonatype.org/display/Repository/Uploading+3rd-party+Artifacts+to+Maven+Central

    If not, we'll setup Nexus on ObjectStyle.

    So the use of ObjectStyle repo will be minimized (and since we are relying on it already, it won't get any worse for the users who are blocked now).

    Andrus
[...]

  • Robert Zeigler at Jul 6, 2011 at 10:52 pm
    Ok, I've commented out all references to external repositories in every pom and cleared out my cached m2 repo. I'm now attempting to build/install cayenne.

    Robert
[...]

  • Robert Zeigler at Jul 6, 2011 at 11:37 pm
    Running with maven 2.2.1.
    I commented out all references to repositories (including plugin repositories) EXCEPT for the reference to the apache snapshot repository and the reference to the central maven plugin repository in the topmost pom.

    Following is a list of artifacts that caused the build to fail, and the path to the artifact.
    Each time I encountered a failure, I manually installed it to my local repo so I would be able to continue the install and find all of the "missing" dependencies.

    1) foundrylogic.vpp:vpp:jar:2.2.1
    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
    2) foundrylogic.vpp:vpp:jar:2.2.1

    2) jgoodies:looks:jar:1.3.1

    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
    2) jgoodies:looks:jar:1.3.1

    3) opensymphony:oscache:jar:2.3.2
    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
    2) opensymphony:oscache:jar:2.3.2

    4) org.objectstyle:jdbc4-compat:jar:1.0
    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
    2) org.objectstyle:jdbc4-compat:jar:1.0

    5) com.caucho:resin-hessian:jar:3.1.6
    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
    2) com.caucho:resin-hessian:jar:3.1.6

    6) mockrunner:mockrunner:jar:0.4.1
    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
    2) mockrunner:mockrunner:jar:0.4.1

    7) com.atlassian.confluence:confluence-soap:jar:2.0
    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-doc-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
    2) com.atlassian.confluence:confluence-soap:jar:2.0

    Then I hit this exception:
    Running org.apache.cayenne.access.HorizontalInheritanceTest
    org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.SurefireExecutionException: org.apache.cayenne.access.HorizontalInheritanceTest; nested exception is java.lang.InstantiationError: org.apache.cayenne.event.EventManager; nested exception is org.apache.maven.surefire.testset.TestSetFailedException: org.apache.cayenne.access.HorizontalInheritanceTest; nested exception is java.lang.InstantiationError: org.apache.cayenne.event.EventManager
    org.apache.maven.surefire.testset.TestSetFailedException: org.apache.cayenne.access.HorizontalInheritanceTest; nested exception is java.lang.InstantiationError: org.apache.cayenne.event.EventManager
    java.lang.InstantiationError: org.apache.cayenne.event.EventManager
    at org.apache.cayenne.conf.Configuration.(DefaultConfiguration.java:59)
    at org.apache.cayenne.conf.DefaultConfiguration.(CayenneCase.java:55)
    at org.apache.cayenne.unit.CayenneCase.<clinit>(CayenneCase.java:52)

    So I had to -DskipTests to finish the build.

    Robert
[...]

  • Aristedes Maniatis at Jul 7, 2011 at 1:08 am

    I commented out all references to repositories (including plugin repositories) EXCEPT for the reference to the apache snapshot repository and the reference to the central maven plugin repository in the topmost pom.

    Following is a list of artifacts that caused the build to fail, and the path to the artifact.
    Each time I encountered a failure, I manually installed it to my local repo so I would be able to continue the install and find all of the "missing" dependencies.

    1) foundrylogic.vpp:vpp:jar:2.2.1
    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
    2) foundrylogic.vpp:vpp:jar:2.2.1
    Not sure what this one is.

    2) jgoodies:looks:jar:1.3.1

    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
    2) jgoodies:looks:jar:1.3.1
    Maybe we just need to upgrade to 2.2.2 which I can see here:

    http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.jgoodies/looks
    3) opensymphony:oscache:jar:2.3.2
    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
    2) opensymphony:oscache:jar:2.3.2
    Maybe we just need to upgrade to 2.4.1 which I can see here:

    http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/opensymphony/oscache

    4) org.objectstyle:jdbc4-compat:jar:1.0
    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
    2) org.objectstyle:jdbc4-compat:jar:1.0

    5) com.caucho:resin-hessian:jar:3.1.6
    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
    2) com.caucho:resin-hessian:jar:3.1.6
    They have long had haphazard release processes. But I can see 4.0.7

    http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/com.caucho/hessian

    We could try upgrading to that version.

    6) mockrunner:mockrunner:jar:0.4.1
    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
    2) mockrunner:mockrunner:jar:0.4.1
    I can see 0.4 in maven, but not 0.4.1.

    7) com.atlassian.confluence:confluence-soap:jar:2.0
    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-doc-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
    2) com.atlassian.confluence:confluence-soap:jar:2.0

    This is going away soon.

    Ari

    --
    -------------------------->
    Aristedes Maniatis

    1) foundrylogic.vpp:vpp:jar:2.2.1
    Path to dependency:
    1) org.apache.cayenne.build-tools:maven-cayenne-build-plugin:maven-plugin:3.1-SNAPSHOT
    2) foundrylogic.vpp:vpp:jar:2.2.1
    Not sure what this one is.
    Apparently additional velocity tools? A quick grep of the source tree suggests that it's used with cgen?

    For the rest, I can try tweaking the versions and rebuilding, but since I was running into a failed test before, I may not be able to determine if the version changes break cayenne. I'll see what happens.

    Robert
[...]

  • Mike Kienenberger at Jul 8, 2011 at 4:57 pm
    Yes, foundrylogic.vpp:vpp:jar is velocity-related.

    If I remember right, it provides the hook between ant and velocity
    tasks. It may not be necessary for maven.

    On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:25 PM, Robert Zeigler
[...]

    GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C  5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A

groupdev @
categoriescayenne
postedJul 6, '11 at 12:54p
activeJul 8, '11 at 4:57p