FAQ
http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.0.1_2/

So here is a new set of 3.0.1 release files, with a source file, and binary files built from that source (and not from SVN or git). The only noteable difference is that there's no "src" folder in the binary distros, making them ~2M smaller. NOTICE file was fixed as well.

Please evaluate and cast your votes.

Andrus

Search Discussions

  • Aristedes Maniatis at Aug 26, 2010 at 7:51 am

    On 26/08/10 5:00 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    Please evaluate and cast your votes.
    Given the previous discussion, I am unclear about what the PMC's consensus is about what we are voting on. I posted an email about this a few days ago... are others in agreement with the general ideas in that?

    If PMC decides that each voter needs to verify that the source code is properly licensed and matches the svn repository, then I don't know how to do that.

    Regards

    Ari

    --
    -------------------------->
    Aristedes Maniatis
    GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C 5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A
  • Mike Kienenberger at Aug 28, 2010 at 5:54 pm
    signatures match: yes
    checksums match: yes
    source included: yes
    source builds and tests pass: yes
    source compares with
    https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cayenne/main/tags/3.0.1/ (revision 990388):
    yes, as far as I can tell.

    diff -rq cayenne-3.0.1-src/ cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1/ | grep -v ': .svn' |
    grep -v ': .cvsignore'
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//assembly/src/main: assembly
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//build-tools/maven-cayenne-build-plugin/src:
    test
    Only in
    cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs/doc/src/main/resources/doc/Documentation/Cayenne
    Guide: DataViews
    Only in
    cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs/doc/src/main/resources/doc/Documentation/Cayenne
    Guide/Deployment: Deployment with Ant
    Only in
    cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs/doc/src/main/resources/doc/Documentation/Cayenne
    Guide/Design: Object Caching
    Only in
    cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs/doc/src/main/resources/doc/Documentation/Cayenne
    Guide: Quick Start
    Only in
    cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs/doc/src/main/resources/doc/Documentation/Remote
    Object Persistence Guide: Remote Object Persistence Quick Start
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs/doc/src/main/resources: schema
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs: quick-start
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs: quick-start-rop
    Only in cayenne-3.0.1-src/: eclipse
    Only in
    cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//framework/cayenne-jdk1.6-unpublished/src/main:
    resources
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//framework/cayenne-jdk1.6-unpublished/src:
    test
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//itests/itest-common/src/main: resources
    Only in cayenne-3.0.1-src/: LICENSE.txt
    Only in cayenne-3.0.1-src/: NOTICE.txt
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//tutorials/tutorial/src/main/java/org:
    example

    comparison of builds of generic assembly jars from svn and from source
    release package are equivalent (except build dates): yes
    comparison of builds of generic assembly jars from source release and maven
    install build from source release are equivalent (except build dates): yes

    LICENSE file: yes
    NOTICE file: yes

    We still don't have any instructions for how to build the source in an
    obvious place in the source page -- I had to go to our new web page.
    Probably doesn't have to hold up the release, but it should be dealt with.
    From a PMC point of view: +1
    From an end-user of the src/generic-binary packages: +0 -- Runtime untested
    beyond the basic tests during build as I don't have any Cayenne 3.0
    projects. I did find it confusing that we have the modeler jar in the lib
    directory, but the one that's actually runnable is in the bin directory.
    Probably just the wrong expectations on my part, though. Trivial issue
    which probably doesn't need to be addressed.

    Modeler ran fine against the tutorial project cayenne.xml. I didn't have
    time to go through the documented tutorial. I also didn't see any quick
    way to run the provided tutorial to use that as a test, although with more
    time, I could have figured out how to load it into Eclipse and configured it
    to run on jetty.

    On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.0.1_2/<http://people.apache.org/%7Eaadamchik/release/3.0.1_2/>

    So here is a new set of 3.0.1 release files, with a source file, and binary
    files built from that source (and not from SVN or git). The only noteable
    difference is that there's no "src" folder in the binary distros, making
    them ~2M smaller. NOTICE file was fixed as well.

    Please evaluate and cast your votes.

    Andrus
  • Andrus Adamchik at Aug 29, 2010 at 8:25 am

    On Aug 28, 2010, at 8:53 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

    I did find it confusing that we have the modeler jar in the lib
    directory, but the one that's actually runnable is in the bin directory.
    Probably just the wrong expectations on my part, though.
    In 3.0 we had a concept of the "modeler as a library", mainly for JNDI hack purposes: http://cayenne.apache.org/doc30/using-jndi.html . We won't be including cayenne-modeler.jar in 3.1.

    Andrus
  • Andrus Adamchik at Aug 29, 2010 at 11:33 am
    BTW, just removed these empty dirs from SVN on 3.0 branch and trunk (didn't touch the release tag). Those are direct consequences of me using git that doesn't treat directories as repository objects, and by default ignores them on commit. Should get accustomed to using "--rmdir" when committing code via git-svn...

    Andrus
    On Aug 28, 2010, at 8:53 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

    diff -rq cayenne-3.0.1-src/ cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1/ | grep -v ': .svn' |
    grep -v ': .cvsignore'
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//assembly/src/main: assembly
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//build-tools/maven-cayenne-build-plugin/src:
    test
    Only in
    cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs/doc/src/main/resources/doc/Documentation/Cayenne
    Guide: DataViews
    Only in
    cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs/doc/src/main/resources/doc/Documentation/Cayenne
    Guide/Deployment: Deployment with Ant
    Only in
    cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs/doc/src/main/resources/doc/Documentation/Cayenne
    Guide/Design: Object Caching
    Only in
    cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs/doc/src/main/resources/doc/Documentation/Cayenne
    Guide: Quick Start
    Only in
    cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs/doc/src/main/resources/doc/Documentation/Remote
    Object Persistence Guide: Remote Object Persistence Quick Start
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs/doc/src/main/resources: schema
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs: quick-start
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//docs: quick-start-rop
    Only in cayenne-3.0.1-src/: eclipse
    Only in
    cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//framework/cayenne-jdk1.6-unpublished/src/main:
    resources
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//framework/cayenne-jdk1.6-unpublished/src:
    test
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//itests/itest-common/src/main: resources
    Only in cayenne-3.0.1-src/: LICENSE.txt
    Only in cayenne-3.0.1-src/: NOTICE.txt
    Only in cayenne-svn-tags-3.0.1//tutorials/tutorial/src/main/java/org:
    example
  • Tore Halset at Aug 31, 2010 at 12:30 pm
    Hello.

    +1

    I have done:
    * a brief check of licensing files/headers.
    * junit-tested the distribution with our own system.
    * done some basic testing of the modeler user interface.

    This is probably way too brief compared to the PMC requirements discussed earlier.

    Regards,
    - Tore.
    On Aug 26, 2010, at 09:00 , Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.0.1_2/

    So here is a new set of 3.0.1 release files, with a source file, and binary files built from that source (and not from SVN or git). The only noteable difference is that there's no "src" folder in the binary distros, making them ~2M smaller. NOTICE file was fixed as well.

    Please evaluate and cast your votes.

    Andrus
  • Michael Gentry at Aug 31, 2010 at 1:49 pm
    Maybe this was answered before and I'm being forgetful, but should the
    sources be in the OS-specific distributions, too? I just downloaded
    the OS X DMG and the sources are not there.

    Thanks,

    mrg

    On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.0.1_2/

    So here is a new set of 3.0.1 release files, with a source file, and binary files built from that source (and not from SVN or git). The only noteable difference is that there's no "src" folder in the binary distros, making them ~2M smaller. NOTICE file was fixed as well.

    Please evaluate and cast your votes.

    Andrus
  • Andrus Adamchik at Aug 31, 2010 at 1:52 pm
    The sources are not in the binary distros because now we have a separate dedicated source distro.

    Andrus
    On Aug 31, 2010, at 4:47 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:

    Maybe this was answered before and I'm being forgetful, but should the
    sources be in the OS-specific distributions, too? I just downloaded
    the OS X DMG and the sources are not there.

    Thanks,

    mrg

    On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.0.1_2/

    So here is a new set of 3.0.1 release files, with a source file, and binary files built from that source (and not from SVN or git). The only noteable difference is that there's no "src" folder in the binary distros, making them ~2M smaller. NOTICE file was fixed as well.

    Please evaluate and cast your votes.

    Andrus
  • Michael Gentry at Aug 31, 2010 at 2:12 pm
    Thanks. I'll grab cayenne-3.0.1.tar.gz separately/
    On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    The sources are not in the binary distros because now we have a separate dedicated source distro.

    Andrus
    On Aug 31, 2010, at 4:47 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:

    Maybe this was answered before and I'm being forgetful, but should the
    sources be in the OS-specific distributions, too?  I just downloaded
    the OS X DMG and the sources are not there.

    Thanks,

    mrg

    On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.0.1_2/

    So here is a new set of 3.0.1 release files, with a source file, and binary files built from that source (and not from SVN or git). The only noteable difference is that there's no "src" folder in the binary distros, making them ~2M smaller. NOTICE file was fixed as well.

    Please evaluate and cast your votes.

    Andrus
  • Mike Kienenberger at Aug 31, 2010 at 4:44 pm
    Source is actually in cayenne-src-3.0.1. cayenne-3.0.1 is a binary dist if
    I remember right.
    On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Michael Gentry wrote:

    Thanks. I'll grab cayenne-3.0.1.tar.gz separately/
    On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    The sources are not in the binary distros because now we have a separate
    dedicated source distro.
    Andrus
    On Aug 31, 2010, at 4:47 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:

    Maybe this was answered before and I'm being forgetful, but should the
    sources be in the OS-specific distributions, too? I just downloaded
    the OS X DMG and the sources are not there.

    Thanks,

    mrg


    On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Andrus Adamchik <
    andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
    binary files built from that source (and not from SVN or git). The only
    noteable difference is that there's no "src" folder in the binary distros,
    making them ~2M smaller. NOTICE file was fixed as well.
    Please evaluate and cast your votes.

    Andrus
  • Michael Gentry at Aug 31, 2010 at 6:28 pm
    Yes, I've since discovered that, too. :-)

    Thanks,

    mrg

    On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
    Source is actually in cayenne-src-3.0.1.   cayenne-3.0.1 is a binary dist if
    I remember right.
    On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Michael Gentry wrote:

    Thanks.  I'll grab cayenne-3.0.1.tar.gz separately/

    On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Andrus Adamchik <andrus@objectstyle.org>
    wrote:
    The sources are not in the binary distros because now we have a separate
    dedicated source distro.
    Andrus
    On Aug 31, 2010, at 4:47 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:

    Maybe this was answered before and I'm being forgetful, but should the
    sources be in the OS-specific distributions, too?  I just downloaded
    the OS X DMG and the sources are not there.

    Thanks,

    mrg


    On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Andrus Adamchik <
    andrus@objectstyle.org> wrote:
    binary files built from that source (and not from SVN or git). The only
    noteable difference is that there's no "src" folder in the binary distros,
    making them ~2M smaller. NOTICE file was fixed as well.
    Please evaluate and cast your votes.

    Andrus
  • Michael Gentry at Sep 2, 2010 at 2:01 pm
    Is it expected that the checksums are different between building the
    source and the binary distribution?

    ~/Downloads/cayenne-3.0.1-src> md5
    framework/cayenne-server/target/cayenne-server-3.0.1.jar
    MD5 (framework/cayenne-server/target/cayenne-server-3.0.1.jar) =
    b89a57ebe8e5f95bfb24ddb0f2197184

    ~/Downloads/cayenne-3.0.1/lib> md5 cayenne-server-3.0.1.jar
    MD5 (cayenne-server-3.0.1.jar) = 9be9cc7c518839a3965374f7f44b5bb9

    I suppose there could be compiler differences.

    Thanks,

    mrg
  • Andrus Adamchik at Sep 2, 2010 at 2:05 pm
    Yes. There are few metadata files in the jars that contain build timestamps (some are ours, some are Maven created IIRC). There may be other cases I can't remember off hand (such as jar utility not producing repeatable results).

    Andrus
    On Sep 2, 2010, at 5:00 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:

    Is it expected that the checksums are different between building the
    source and the binary distribution?

    ~/Downloads/cayenne-3.0.1-src> md5
    framework/cayenne-server/target/cayenne-server-3.0.1.jar
    MD5 (framework/cayenne-server/target/cayenne-server-3.0.1.jar) =
    b89a57ebe8e5f95bfb24ddb0f2197184

    ~/Downloads/cayenne-3.0.1/lib> md5 cayenne-server-3.0.1.jar
    MD5 (cayenne-server-3.0.1.jar) = 9be9cc7c518839a3965374f7f44b5bb9

    I suppose there could be compiler differences.

    Thanks,

    mrg
  • Mike Kienenberger at Sep 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm
    If you're talking about building your own jar, it will be different.

    The easiest thing to do is to drop both jars in an eclipse project,
    select both files, then do a compare with each other.

    This will compare each file in the jar. What you'll find (what I
    found) is that there are two datestamps of when the jar was compiled
    in the jar, and those are the only two differences.

    On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Michael Gentry wrote:
    Is it expected that the checksums are different between building the
    source and the binary distribution?

    ~/Downloads/cayenne-3.0.1-src> md5
    framework/cayenne-server/target/cayenne-server-3.0.1.jar
    MD5 (framework/cayenne-server/target/cayenne-server-3.0.1.jar) =
    b89a57ebe8e5f95bfb24ddb0f2197184

    ~/Downloads/cayenne-3.0.1/lib> md5 cayenne-server-3.0.1.jar
    MD5 (cayenne-server-3.0.1.jar) = 9be9cc7c518839a3965374f7f44b5bb9

    I suppose there could be compiler differences.

    Thanks,

    mrg
  • Michael Gentry at Sep 3, 2010 at 1:22 pm
    I've finished reviewing, built the source, compared binaries, and run
    some admittedly simple tests against the framework and the modeler.

    +1

    Thanks!

    mrg

    On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.0.1_2/

    So here is a new set of 3.0.1 release files, with a source file, and binary files built from that source (and not from SVN or git). The only noteable difference is that there's no "src" folder in the binary distros, making them ~2M smaller. NOTICE file was fixed as well.

    Please evaluate and cast your votes.

    Andrus
  • Andrus Adamchik at Sep 3, 2010 at 1:27 pm
    +1 from me.

    I will keep running the vote till Sunday, even though enough time has passed and we have enough +1's to close it. Not sure if Ari still wants to look at it, and also I will be traveling on Saturday, and will only have time to look at it on Sunday.

    Really appreciate the discussion that we had about the release process. It resulted in improving both voting procedure and the Maven code.

    Cheers,
    Andrus
    On Aug 26, 2010, at 10:00 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.0.1_2/

    So here is a new set of 3.0.1 release files, with a source file, and binary files built from that source (and not from SVN or git). The only noteable difference is that there's no "src" folder in the binary distros, making them ~2M smaller. NOTICE file was fixed as well.

    Please evaluate and cast your votes.

    Andrus
  • Aristedes Maniatis at Sep 3, 2010 at 5:26 pm

    On 3/09/10 11:26 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    I will keep running the vote till Sunday, even though enough time has passed and we have enough +1's to close it. Not sure if Ari still wants to look at it, and also I will be traveling on Saturday, and will only have time to look at it on Sunday.
    I do. But if I don't get time to look at it in the next few days, here's a +0 from me (that is, I have nothing I know of holding it up).

    Really appreciate the discussion that we had about the release process. It resulted in improving both voting procedure and the Maven code.
    Now I just need to review everything that was said and document it all.

    Ari


    --
    -------------------------->
    Aristedes Maniatis
    GPG fingerprint CBFB 84B4 738D 4E87 5E5C 5EFA EF6A 7D2E 3E49 102A
  • Andrus Adamchik at Sep 6, 2010 at 11:04 am

    On Aug 26, 2010, at 3:00 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    http://people.apache.org/~aadamchik/release/3.0.1_2/

    So here is a new set of 3.0.1 release files, with a source file, and binary files built from that source (and not from SVN or git). The only noteable difference is that there's no "src" folder in the binary distros, making them ~2M smaller. NOTICE file was fixed as well.

    Please evaluate and cast your votes.

    Andrus
    I am closing the vote. The we have the following results:

    Mike Kienenberger +1
    Tore Halset +1
    Michael Gentry +1
    Andrus Adamchik +1
    Aristedes Maniatis +0

    So the vote passes and we have a release. I publish the files today.

    Thanks,
    Andrus

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupdev @
categoriescayenne
postedAug 26, '10 at 7:01a
activeSep 6, '10 at 11:04a
posts18
users5
websitecayenne.apache.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase