Looks like I was able to fix configurations for Cayenne-trunk and
Cayenne-30. So now we have two fully working builds, and can improve
upon the existing baseline setup. A few comments explaining what I had
to fix:

1. I was wrong about the "Ubuntu" group including Hadoop* machines.
Ubuntu = minerva + vesta. So both build configurations are explicitly
clustered across the group.

2. Both minerva and vesta contain identical ~hudson/.cayenne/
connection.properties files. We need to manually keep those in sync.
At the same time we don't really need one on hudson.zones.apache.org.

3. Cayenne-30 does not support cayenneTestConnection property and I am
not comfortable patching it from trunk at this point. And as Ari
noticed, using cayenne.test.connection notation doesn't play well with
Hudson (I can't imagine why, but I can confirm this finding). As a
result we can't run 3.0 on Hudson with Derby or H2. So I removed those
options. Now it runs with Java 5 & 6 on HSQLDB only.

4. Cayenne-trunk on the other hand can support specific DB's (see #2
above), and so it does. Derby runs without test failures BTW. However
I've seen occasional test failures that can be attributed to race
conditions in the tests (those happen on local machines as well). One
day we are going to track them down.

5. Builds themselves are pretty fast. Usually the slowest step is SVN
checkout.

Andrus

Search Discussions

  • Aristedes Maniatis at Jan 5, 2010 at 1:01 am

    1. I was wrong about the "Ubuntu" group including Hadoop* machines.
    Ubuntu = minerva + vesta. So both build configurations are explicitly
    clustered across the group.

    2. Both minerva and vesta contain identical
    ~hudson/.cayenne/connection.properties files. We need to manually keep
    those in sync. At the same time we don't really need one on
    hudson.zones.apache.org.
    I was thinking that in the longer term we could get rid of that file for Hudson purposes and just hardcode some defaults right into a file within svn. After all, HSQLDB is hardcoded in.
    3. Cayenne-30 does not support cayenneTestConnection property and I am
    not comfortable patching it from trunk at this point. And as Ari
    noticed, using cayenne.test.connection notation doesn't play well with
    Hudson (I can't imagine why, but I can confirm this finding).
    It is because Hudson uses Groovy for scripting. And Groovy gets confused by variable names with dots.
    As a
    result we can't run 3.0 on Hudson with Derby or H2. So I removed those
    options. Now it runs with Java 5 & 6 on HSQLDB only.
    I think that is a good option for now.

    4. Cayenne-trunk on the other hand can support specific DB's (see #2
    above), and so it does. Derby runs without test failures BTW. However
    I've seen occasional test failures that can be attributed to race
    conditions in the tests (those happen on local machines as well). One
    day we are going to track them down.

    5. Builds themselves are pretty fast. Usually the slowest step is SVN
    checkout.

    Hey, maybe if we are game we could try building against Harmony. I wonder if that would work...

    Ari

    --

    Aristedes Maniatis

groupdev @