I'd like to suggest stripping @author tags from all Java classes. In a
mature project like Cayenne they make little sense, as many people
have touched most files over the years. They only create false
ownership perception. As my name is on most of the classes, I figured
it would be most appropriate if I suggest that myself.

Also IIRC there have been discussions in other places at Apache that
mentioned @author tags as a potential for developer legal liability
(as you know, one of the major goals of the ASF is to shield
individual contributors from such liability). I am personally less
concerned about this particular aspect, still figured I'd mention.

Thoughts?

Andrus

Search Discussions

  • Kevin Menard at Nov 10, 2008 at 1:20 pm
    Sounds good to me. The commit history is a better indicator of who to
    talk to if one does have a question to ask the author anyway.

    --
    Kevin

    mature project like Cayenne they make little sense, as many people have
    touched most files over the years. They only create false ownership
    perception. As my name is on most of the classes, I figured it would be most
    appropriate if I suggest that myself.

    Also IIRC there have been discussions in other places at Apache that
    mentioned @author tags as a potential for developer legal liability (as you
    know, one of the major goals of the ASF is to shield individual contributors
    from such liability). I am personally less concerned about this particular
    aspect, still figured I'd mention.

    Thoughts?

    Andrus
  • Tore Halset at Nov 10, 2008 at 1:26 pm