FAQ
Hi All,

This is a bit off topic, but I wanted to know how the Cayenne web site
is generated from Confluence, it is only part of the site the /docs or
is it the whole thing?

regards Malcolm Edgar

Search Discussions

  • Aristedes Maniatis at Aug 5, 2007 at 6:37 am

    On 05/08/2007, at 1:06 PM, Malcolm Edgar wrote:

    This is a bit off topic, but I wanted to know how the Cayenne web site
    is generated from Confluence, it is only part of the site the /docs or
    is it the whole thing?
    Every time a page is edited a plugin to Confluence runs which exports
    that page to a folder on people.apache.org. That gets rysnced to the
    web site every hour or so. That plugin is where the site design is
    applied to the pages as well, as it allowed for a templated output,
    however there are a bunch of limitations in the templates so we
    should keep an eye out for improvements there.

    The other limitation is that it appears pages are never deleted by
    this mechanism and that indirect changes do not have effect. For
    instance new news on the front page does not seem to appear unless
    you 'touch' the front page to have it regenerate.

    The Confluence spaces: CAYDOC, CAYDOC12, CAYDOC2, CAYSITE are all
    exported in this way. There is a little script which puts them all
    into the right places within the html folder.

    The other part of the site is the Javadocs for trunk (3.0) which are
    generated nightly by a script on people.apache.org.



    Ari Maniatis



    -------------------------->
    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8
  • Malcolm Edgar at Aug 5, 2007 at 9:57 am
    Hi Ari,

    Thanks for that information. What is this plugin you mentioned, is it
    a standard Cayenne plugin?

    I have been meaning to ask you whether you wanted to do a joint
    Cayenne presentation to the Sydney Java User Group (SJUG)? These are
    usually held in the Sun Center in North Sydney, Sun put on nibbles and
    drinks before the event.

    regards Malcolm Edgar
    On 8/5/07, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
    On 05/08/2007, at 1:06 PM, Malcolm Edgar wrote:

    This is a bit off topic, but I wanted to know how the Cayenne web site
    is generated from Confluence, it is only part of the site the /docs or
    is it the whole thing?
    Every time a page is edited a plugin to Confluence runs which exports
    that page to a folder on people.apache.org. That gets rysnced to the
    web site every hour or so. That plugin is where the site design is
    applied to the pages as well, as it allowed for a templated output,
    however there are a bunch of limitations in the templates so we
    should keep an eye out for improvements there.

    The other limitation is that it appears pages are never deleted by
    this mechanism and that indirect changes do not have effect. For
    instance new news on the front page does not seem to appear unless
    you 'touch' the front page to have it regenerate.

    The Confluence spaces: CAYDOC, CAYDOC12, CAYDOC2, CAYSITE are all
    exported in this way. There is a little script which puts them all
    into the right places within the html folder.

    The other part of the site is the Javadocs for trunk (3.0) which are
    generated nightly by a script on people.apache.org.



    Ari Maniatis



    -------------------------->
    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8


  • Aristedes Maniatis at Aug 7, 2007 at 4:07 am

    On 05/08/2007, at 7:56 PM, Malcolm Edgar wrote:

    Thanks for that information. What is this plugin you mentioned, is it
    a standard Cayenne plugin?
    Pretty common, but not written by Atlassian.

    http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFEXT/AutoExport+for
    +Confluence
    I have been meaning to ask you whether you wanted to do a joint
    Cayenne presentation to the Sydney Java User Group (SJUG)? These are
    usually held in the Sun Center in North Sydney, Sun put on nibbles and
    drinks before the event.
    Yeah sure. I didn't realise you were based in Sydney. Cool. And there
    is even someone from Apache there next time who we can hassle about
    maven:

    https://sydneyjug.dev.java.net/

    Looks like the next two meetings are at Atlassian's offices, and ish
    has just become a partner of theirs, so this might work out really well.


    Ari Maniatis



    -------------------------->
    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8
  • Michael Gentry at Aug 7, 2007 at 12:42 pm
    Atlassian claims Hibernate is "the best open source persistence
    framework" (http://opensource.atlassian.com/), so talking about
    Cayenne at their offices could be interesting. :-)

    /dev/mrg
    On 8/7/07, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
    Looks like the next two meetings are at Atlassian's offices, and ish
    has just become a partner of theirs, so this might work out really well.
  • Malcolm Edgar at Aug 7, 2007 at 11:04 pm
    Well Hibernate is not the most productive framework, it maybe the most
    complex/capable, but that is a different thing.

    regards Malcolm Edgar
    On 8/7/07, Michael Gentry wrote:

    Atlassian claims Hibernate is "the best open source persistence
    framework" (http://opensource.atlassian.com/), so talking about
    Cayenne at their offices could be interesting. :-)

    /dev/mrg
    On 8/7/07, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
    Looks like the next two meetings are at Atlassian's offices, and ish
    has just become a partner of theirs, so this might work out really well.
  • Michael Gentry at Aug 8, 2007 at 12:43 pm
    I admit to being biased, too. :-)

    To continue going off-topic ...

    If you and Ari do a presentation, is there any chance of it being
    recorded? An MP3 or QuickTime (I'd think video would be better if it
    were a visual presentation). I've been thinking for a bit now it
    would be nice if we had some videos showing how Cayenne can be used,
    etc. I should buy the software to do that on my Mac, I suppose.

    Thanks!

    /dev/mrg

    On 8/7/07, Malcolm Edgar wrote:
    Well Hibernate is not the most productive framework, it maybe the most
    complex/capable, but that is a different thing.

    regards Malcolm Edgar
    On 8/7/07, Michael Gentry wrote:

    Atlassian claims Hibernate is "the best open source persistence
    framework" (http://opensource.atlassian.com/), so talking about
    Cayenne at their offices could be interesting. :-)

    /dev/mrg
    On 8/7/07, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
    Looks like the next two meetings are at Atlassian's offices, and ish
    has just become a partner of theirs, so this might work out really well.
  • Malcolm Edgar at Aug 8, 2007 at 11:01 pm
    We could try. I not sure who would want to look at a middle aged IT person
    though.

    cheers Malcolm
    On 8/8/07, Michael Gentry wrote:

    I admit to being biased, too. :-)

    To continue going off-topic ...

    If you and Ari do a presentation, is there any chance of it being
    recorded? An MP3 or QuickTime (I'd think video would be better if it
    were a visual presentation). I've been thinking for a bit now it
    would be nice if we had some videos showing how Cayenne can be used,
    etc. I should buy the software to do that on my Mac, I suppose.

    Thanks!

    /dev/mrg

    On 8/7/07, Malcolm Edgar wrote:
    Well Hibernate is not the most productive framework, it maybe the most
    complex/capable, but that is a different thing.

    regards Malcolm Edgar
    On 8/7/07, Michael Gentry wrote:

    Atlassian claims Hibernate is "the best open source persistence
    framework" (http://opensource.atlassian.com/), so talking about
    Cayenne at their offices could be interesting. :-)

    /dev/mrg
    On 8/7/07, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
    Looks like the next two meetings are at Atlassian's offices, and ish
    has just become a partner of theirs, so this might work out really
    well.
  • Andrus Adamchik at Aug 5, 2007 at 10:05 am

    On Aug 5, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
    The other part of the site is the Javadocs for trunk (3.0) which
    are generated nightly by a script on people.apache.org.
    Ari,

    BTW, could you confirm that the javadocs are actually generated
    nightly? I noticed a few classes that were switched to non-public and/
    or moved around some time ago, and the docs are showing the old
    versions. E.g.:

    * org.apache.cayenne.query.EJBQLFromTranslator is moved to
    access.jdbc and is made non-public
    * org.apache.cayenne.query.SQLTemplateMetadata is no longer public.

    Andrus
  • Aristedes Maniatis at Aug 7, 2007 at 4:08 am

    On 05/08/2007, at 8:05 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    BTW, could you confirm that the javadocs are actually generated
    nightly? I noticed a few classes that were switched to non-public
    and/or moved around some time ago, and the docs are showing the old
    versions. E.g.:

    * org.apache.cayenne.query.EJBQLFromTranslator is moved to
    access.jdbc and is made non-public
    * org.apache.cayenne.query.SQLTemplateMetadata is no longer public.
    I'll investigate.

    Ari



    -------------------------->
    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8
  • Aristedes Maniatis at Aug 19, 2007 at 2:34 pm

    On 05/08/2007, at 8:05 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    BTW, could you confirm that the javadocs are actually generated
    nightly? I noticed a few classes that were switched to non-public
    and/or moved around some time ago, and the docs are showing the old
    versions. E.g.:

    * org.apache.cayenne.query.EJBQLFromTranslator is moved to
    access.jdbc and is made non-public
    * org.apache.cayenne.query.SQLTemplateMetadata is no longer public.

    Andrus
    I've spent some time now poking around this issue and it doesn't make
    too much sense. Turns out that maven, instead of using the source
    tree which it is run from, will go and use a stale sources .jar which
    it finds somewhere else:

    [amaniatis@minotaur ~/svn/cayenne/docs/doc]$ mvn javadoc:javadoc
    ....
    [INFO] Expanding: /home/amaniatis/.m2/repository/org/apache/cayenne/
    cayenne-server/3.0-SNAPSHOT/cayenne-server-3.0-SNAPSHOT-sources.jar
    into /x1/home/amaniatis/svn/cayenne/docs/doc/target/sources


    How nuts is that. How do I either get it to build the javadoc from
    sources which are right in the same directory, or force the source
    jar to be rebuilt? Without having to build the entire thing of course...

    Ari

    -------------------------->
    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8
  • Andrus Adamchik at Aug 21, 2007 at 6:26 pm
    I guess the reason for that is that the javadocs are built for an
    aggregated module that is a derivative of multiple other java
    modules. So yeah - you'd have to build the entire thing. That'll take
    a bit longer for sure, but generally shouldn't be a problem.

    Andrus

    On Aug 19, 2007, at 5:33 PM, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
    On 05/08/2007, at 8:05 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    BTW, could you confirm that the javadocs are actually generated
    nightly? I noticed a few classes that were switched to non-public
    and/or moved around some time ago, and the docs are showing the
    old versions. E.g.:

    * org.apache.cayenne.query.EJBQLFromTranslator is moved to
    access.jdbc and is made non-public
    * org.apache.cayenne.query.SQLTemplateMetadata is no longer public.

    Andrus
    I've spent some time now poking around this issue and it doesn't
    make too much sense. Turns out that maven, instead of using the
    source tree which it is run from, will go and use a stale
    sources .jar which it finds somewhere else:

    [amaniatis@minotaur ~/svn/cayenne/docs/doc]$ mvn javadoc:javadoc
    ....
    [INFO] Expanding: /home/amaniatis/.m2/repository/org/apache/cayenne/
    cayenne-server/3.0-SNAPSHOT/cayenne-server-3.0-SNAPSHOT-sources.jar
    into /x1/home/amaniatis/svn/cayenne/docs/doc/target/sources


    How nuts is that. How do I either get it to build the javadoc from
    sources which are right in the same directory, or force the source
    jar to be rebuilt? Without having to build the entire thing of
    course...

    Ari

    -------------------------->
    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupdev @
categoriescayenne
postedAug 5, '07 at 3:06a
activeAug 21, '07 at 6:26p
posts12
users4
websitecayenne.apache.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase