FAQ
I wish our next release could have been 3.0M1, and we got very close.
For my part I need about two weeks of uninterrupted work on Cayenne -
something I can't afford now :-/

Nevertheless, we have 13 closed bugs on each of the stable branches
(1.2 and 2.0), so I think this is a good time to synchronously
release 1.2.3 and 2.0.3. Unless we hear from committers who are still
working on some stable issues (or some other objections), I'll start
a vote thread shortly.

Thanks
Andrus

Search Discussions

  • Michael Gentry at Apr 27, 2007 at 6:13 pm
    Well, I've discovered another one (at least in 1.2, which implies 2.0,
    also), but haven't tracked it down enough yet. I don't think it has
    anything to do with our binary PKs, either. In a nutshell, I had optimistic
    locking turned on everything, including relationships and had:

    A ->> B (A to-many-to B)

    When I updated attributes in A and B and committed the changes, I'd get an
    optimistic locking exception because the SQL generated looked like:

    UPDATE A set foo = 'bar'
    WHERE primaryKey IS NULL AND ...

    For some reason, it is nulling out the PK when figuring out the
    differences. (Strangely, it doesn't null out the PK in B -- it was updating
    before the A record and the PK was there.) I just haven't had time to track
    it down. My solution was to uncheck optimistic locking.

    I'm not opposed to a new release, but I know there is something lurking
    there, too.

    Thanks,

    /dev/mrg

    On 4/27/07, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    I wish our next release could have been 3.0M1, and we got very close.
    For my part I need about two weeks of uninterrupted work on Cayenne -
    something I can't afford now :-/

    Nevertheless, we have 13 closed bugs on each of the stable branches
    (1.2 and 2.0), so I think this is a good time to synchronously
    release 1.2.3 and 2.0.3. Unless we hear from committers who are still
    working on some stable issues (or some other objections), I'll start
    a vote thread shortly.

    Thanks
    Andrus

  • Mike Kienenberger at Apr 27, 2007 at 6:16 pm
    Michael, this might be fixed if you're using the outer-join patch. I
    seem to recall a similar situation that was cleaned up when I
    reorganized the query translator classes. Might be worth a quick
    check if you don't mind applying the patch and giving it a whirl.
    On 4/27/07, Michael Gentry wrote:
    Well, I've discovered another one (at least in 1.2, which implies 2.0,
    also), but haven't tracked it down enough yet. I don't think it has
    anything to do with our binary PKs, either. In a nutshell, I had optimistic
    locking turned on everything, including relationships and had:

    A ->> B (A to-many-to B)

    When I updated attributes in A and B and committed the changes, I'd get an
    optimistic locking exception because the SQL generated looked like:

    UPDATE A set foo = 'bar'
    WHERE primaryKey IS NULL AND ...

    For some reason, it is nulling out the PK when figuring out the
    differences. (Strangely, it doesn't null out the PK in B -- it was updating
    before the A record and the PK was there.) I just haven't had time to track
    it down. My solution was to uncheck optimistic locking.

    I'm not opposed to a new release, but I know there is something lurking
    there, too.

    Thanks,

    /dev/mrg

    On 4/27/07, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    I wish our next release could have been 3.0M1, and we got very close.
    For my part I need about two weeks of uninterrupted work on Cayenne -
    something I can't afford now :-/

    Nevertheless, we have 13 closed bugs on each of the stable branches
    (1.2 and 2.0), so I think this is a good time to synchronously
    release 1.2.3 and 2.0.3. Unless we hear from committers who are still
    working on some stable issues (or some other objections), I'll start
    a vote thread shortly.

    Thanks
    Andrus

  • Michael Gentry at Apr 27, 2007 at 6:38 pm
    I'm not opposed to patches. I'm having to maintain my own 1.2, anyway. :-)

    Thanks!

    /dev/mrg

    On 4/27/07, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

    Michael, this might be fixed if you're using the outer-join patch. I
    seem to recall a similar situation that was cleaned up when I
    reorganized the query translator classes. Might be worth a quick
    check if you don't mind applying the patch and giving it a whirl.
    On 4/27/07, Michael Gentry wrote:
    Well, I've discovered another one (at least in 1.2, which implies 2.0,
    also), but haven't tracked it down enough yet. I don't think it has
    anything to do with our binary PKs, either. In a nutshell, I had
    optimistic
    locking turned on everything, including relationships and had:

    A ->> B (A to-many-to B)

    When I updated attributes in A and B and committed the changes, I'd get an
    optimistic locking exception because the SQL generated looked like:

    UPDATE A set foo = 'bar'
    WHERE primaryKey IS NULL AND ...

    For some reason, it is nulling out the PK when figuring out the
    differences. (Strangely, it doesn't null out the PK in B -- it was updating
    before the A record and the PK was there.) I just haven't had time to track
    it down. My solution was to uncheck optimistic locking.

    I'm not opposed to a new release, but I know there is something lurking
    there, too.

    Thanks,

    /dev/mrg

    On 4/27/07, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    I wish our next release could have been 3.0M1, and we got very close.
    For my part I need about two weeks of uninterrupted work on Cayenne -
    something I can't afford now :-/

    Nevertheless, we have 13 closed bugs on each of the stable branches
    (1.2 and 2.0), so I think this is a good time to synchronously
    release 1.2.3 and 2.0.3. Unless we hear from committers who are still
    working on some stable issues (or some other objections), I'll start
    a vote thread shortly.

    Thanks
    Andrus

  • Kevin Menard at Apr 27, 2007 at 7:00 pm
    I'd like to hold off until I can address CAY-763 this weekend. Given
    that it could potentially improve the XML stuff and x.y.3 has another
    XML code fix, grouping both together in the same release would be
    benefial to people using the XML coding.

    --
    Kevin
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Andrus Adamchik
    Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 1:32 PM
    To: dev@cayenne.apache.org
    Subject: Discussing 1.2.3 and 2.0.3 release

    I wish our next release could have been 3.0M1, and we got
    very close.
    For my part I need about two weeks of uninterrupted work on
    Cayenne - something I can't afford now :-/

    Nevertheless, we have 13 closed bugs on each of the stable branches
    (1.2 and 2.0), so I think this is a good time to
    synchronously release 1.2.3 and 2.0.3. Unless we hear from
    committers who are still working on some stable issues (or
    some other objections), I'll start a vote thread shortly.

    Thanks
    Andrus

  • Tore Halset at Apr 27, 2007 at 8:41 pm

    On Apr 27, 2007, at 19:31, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    I wish our next release could have been 3.0M1, and we got very
    close. For my part I need about two weeks of uninterrupted work on
    Cayenne - something I can't afford now :-/

    Nevertheless, we have 13 closed bugs on each of the stable branches
    (1.2 and 2.0), so I think this is a good time to synchronously
    release 1.2.3 and 2.0.3. Unless we hear from committers who are
    still working on some stable issues (or some other objections),
    I'll start a vote thread shortly.
    CAY-722 (less locking of shared cache) is the most important issue
    for me now, but it is probably a change that should not go in to any
    of the stable branches. I will run it in production for ca a week
    before checking in the fix to trunk if everything works well.

    - Tore.
  • Andrus Adamchik at May 2, 2007 at 3:40 pm
    So, we had a report from Michael about a potential bug, an issue Tore
    is working on that goes on trunk, and CAY-763 that Kevin marked as
    resolved a few days ago. Looks like there are no more show stoppers,
    so I am going to start a separate vote thread later today.

    Andrus
    On Apr 27, 2007, at 8:31 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    I wish our next release could have been 3.0M1, and we got very
    close. For my part I need about two weeks of uninterrupted work on
    Cayenne - something I can't afford now :-/

    Nevertheless, we have 13 closed bugs on each of the stable branches
    (1.2 and 2.0), so I think this is a good time to synchronously
    release 1.2.3 and 2.0.3. Unless we hear from committers who are
    still working on some stable issues (or some other objections),
    I'll start a vote thread shortly.

    Thanks
    Andrus

  • Michael Gentry at May 2, 2007 at 6:27 pm
    I haven't had time to explore that potential bug yet and wouldn't want to
    hold up a bug-fix release on that account.

    Thanks,

    /dev/mrg

    On 5/2/07, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    So, we had a report from Michael about a potential bug, an issue Tore
    is working on that goes on trunk, and CAY-763 that Kevin marked as
    resolved a few days ago. Looks like there are no more show stoppers,
    so I am going to start a separate vote thread later today.

    Andrus
  • Andrus Adamchik at May 3, 2007 at 8:16 am
    I got the procedure backwards again. We need to build the release
    artifacts before we do the vote. I'll need a few more days to do
    that. If Kevin or someone else wants to participate in this, please
    let me know - we'll schedule some time.

    Andrus


    On May 2, 2007, at 6:40 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    So, we had a report from Michael about a potential bug, an issue
    Tore is working on that goes on trunk, and CAY-763 that Kevin
    marked as resolved a few days ago. Looks like there are no more
    show stoppers, so I am going to start a separate vote thread later
    today.

    Andrus
    On Apr 27, 2007, at 8:31 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    I wish our next release could have been 3.0M1, and we got very
    close. For my part I need about two weeks of uninterrupted work on
    Cayenne - something I can't afford now :-/

    Nevertheless, we have 13 closed bugs on each of the stable
    branches (1.2 and 2.0), so I think this is a good time to
    synchronously release 1.2.3 and 2.0.3. Unless we hear from
    committers who are still working on some stable issues (or some
    other objections), I'll start a vote thread shortly.

    Thanks
    Andrus

  • Kevin Menard at May 3, 2007 at 12:54 pm
    I'd be willing to give a hand. I'd have to look at my availability, but
    my guess is that sometime Sat. morning - early afternoon (EDT) would
    work.

    --
    Kevin
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Andrus Adamchik
    Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 4:16 AM
    To: dev@cayenne.apache.org
    Subject: Re: Discussing 1.2.3 and 2.0.3 release

    I got the procedure backwards again. We need to build the
    release artifacts before we do the vote. I'll need a few more
    days to do that. If Kevin or someone else wants to
    participate in this, please let me know - we'll schedule some time.

    Andrus
  • Andrus Adamchik at May 3, 2007 at 1:51 pm
    Sounds good. I should have time on Saturday or if not - on Sunday.
    I'll know for sure tomorrow. Time permitting, I'll try to look at
    CAY-783 and CAY-784 before that.

    Andrus

    On May 3, 2007, at 3:53 PM, Kevin Menard wrote:

    I'd be willing to give a hand. I'd have to look at my
    availability, but
    my guess is that sometime Sat. morning - early afternoon (EDT) would
    work.

    --
    Kevin
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Andrus Adamchik
    Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 4:16 AM
    To: dev@cayenne.apache.org
    Subject: Re: Discussing 1.2.3 and 2.0.3 release

    I got the procedure backwards again. We need to build the
    release artifacts before we do the vote. I'll need a few more
    days to do that. If Kevin or someone else wants to
    participate in this, please let me know - we'll schedule some time.

    Andrus
  • Andrus Adamchik at May 4, 2007 at 3:57 pm
    It looks more like Sunday for me. Kevin would you be available on
    Sunday morning?

    Andrus

    On May 3, 2007, at 4:50 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    Sounds good. I should have time on Saturday or if not - on Sunday.
    I'll know for sure tomorrow. Time permitting, I'll try to look at
    CAY-783 and CAY-784 before that.

    Andrus

    On May 3, 2007, at 3:53 PM, Kevin Menard wrote:

    I'd be willing to give a hand. I'd have to look at my
    availability, but
    my guess is that sometime Sat. morning - early afternoon (EDT) would
    work.

    --
    Kevin
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Andrus Adamchik
    Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 4:16 AM
    To: dev@cayenne.apache.org
    Subject: Re: Discussing 1.2.3 and 2.0.3 release

    I got the procedure backwards again. We need to build the
    release artifacts before we do the vote. I'll need a few more
    days to do that. If Kevin or someone else wants to
    participate in this, please let me know - we'll schedule some time.

    Andrus
  • Kevin Menard at May 4, 2007 at 4:04 pm
    Unfortunately, Sunday morning is a no go for me. I have some aggression
    to take out on the soccer pitch ;-) I can do Sunday afternoon, however.
    Once again, I'm EDT. Are you stateside or euroside right now?

    --
    Kevin
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Andrus Adamchik
    Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 11:57 AM
    To: dev@cayenne.apache.org
    Subject: Re: Discussing 1.2.3 and 2.0.3 release

    It looks more like Sunday for me. Kevin would you be
    available on Sunday morning?

    Andrus
  • Andrus Adamchik at May 4, 2007 at 4:08 pm
    Euroside. Still we can do it if it is not too late in the afternoon.
    2-3 pm est?

    Andrus
    On May 4, 2007, at 7:04 PM, Kevin Menard wrote:
    Unfortunately, Sunday morning is a no go for me. I have some
    aggression
    to take out on the soccer pitch ;-) I can do Sunday afternoon,
    however.
    Once again, I'm EDT. Are you stateside or euroside right now?

    --
    Kevin
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Andrus Adamchik
    Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 11:57 AM
    To: dev@cayenne.apache.org
    Subject: Re: Discussing 1.2.3 and 2.0.3 release

    It looks more like Sunday for me. Kevin would you be
    available on Sunday morning?

    Andrus
  • Kevin Menard at May 4, 2007 at 4:11 pm
    Let's shoot for 3PM my time then. That'll allow me to make sure I'm
    back home and what not.

    Anyone else care to join?

    --
    Kevin
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Andrus Adamchik
    Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 12:08 PM
    To: dev@cayenne.apache.org
    Subject: Re: Discussing 1.2.3 and 2.0.3 release

    Euroside. Still we can do it if it is not too late in the afternoon.
    2-3 pm est?

    Andrus
  • Michael Gentry at May 4, 2007 at 4:19 pm
    I have a tennis match scheduled at 1pm and another at 5pm (EDT) on Sunday
    and have to refuel in-between, so I doubt I could join for long (and
    probably not at 3pm). I'd like to be able to help out, but it feels like we
    are herding cats here. :-)

    Thanks,

    /dev/mrg

    On 5/4/07, Kevin Menard wrote:

    Let's shoot for 3PM my time then. That'll allow me to make sure I'm
    back home and what not.

    Anyone else care to join?

    --
    Kevin
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Andrus Adamchik
    Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 12:08 PM
    To: dev@cayenne.apache.org
    Subject: Re: Discussing 1.2.3 and 2.0.3 release

    Euroside. Still we can do it if it is not too late in the afternoon.
    2-3 pm est?

    Andrus
  • Andrus Adamchik at May 4, 2007 at 4:39 pm
    Yeah looks like that :-)

    Anyways, 3 pm works for me, and gives me the time to test a fix for
    the nasty race condition that I just found (CAY-786).

    Andrus

    On May 4, 2007, at 7:19 PM, Michael Gentry wrote:

    I have a tennis match scheduled at 1pm and another at 5pm (EDT) on
    Sunday
    and have to refuel in-between, so I doubt I could join for long (and
    probably not at 3pm). I'd like to be able to help out, but it
    feels like we
    are herding cats here. :-)

    Thanks,

    /dev/mrg

    On 5/4/07, Kevin Menard wrote:

    Let's shoot for 3PM my time then. That'll allow me to make sure I'm
    back home and what not.

    Anyone else care to join?

    --
    Kevin
    -----Original Message-----
    From: Andrus Adamchik
    Sent: Friday, May 04, 2007 12:08 PM
    To: dev@cayenne.apache.org
    Subject: Re: Discussing 1.2.3 and 2.0.3 release

    Euroside. Still we can do it if it is not too late in the
    afternoon.
    2-3 pm est?

    Andrus
  • Tore Halset at May 4, 2007 at 7:13 pm
    Hello.

    I could join working hours (CET) next week, but my weekend are full.
    Buying/Selling house, getting baby #2 and so on.

    - Tore.
    On May 4, 2007, at 18:10, Kevin Menard wrote:

    Let's shoot for 3PM my time then. That'll allow me to make sure I'm
    back home and what not.

    Anyone else care to join?
  • Aristedes Maniatis at May 5, 2007 at 12:41 am

    On 05/05/2007, at 4:07 AM, Tore Halset wrote:

    I could join working hours (CET) next week, but my weekend are
    full. Buying/Selling house, getting baby #2 and so on.
    What, giving birth is going to take up your whole weekend? :-)

    I am around a bit this weekend, but 3pm EST is 5am for me, so I might
    need to pass. But if there is anything I can do to help before or
    afterward, run any tests, or write up the release notes for the web
    site, please let me know. My work is all in Cayenne 3.0 so I don't
    have a test environment for 1.2 or 2.0 other than running the junit
    tests which probably doesn't really add much to what you guys are
    already doing.

    So that it isn't forgotten, I've added the 'after release' notes to
    the 2.0 release docs, including instructions for updating the DOAP file.

    Cheers
    Ari



    -------------------------->
    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8
  • Andrus Adamchik at May 5, 2007 at 7:30 am
    Hear you. In a very similar situation myself (plus I work from home
    so that's going on 24x7 :-))

    Anyways, once we post the release artifacts, we still need to do the
    review and testing, giving everybody who is willing to help more time
    flexibility.

    Thanks
    Andrus

    On May 4, 2007, at 9:07 PM, Tore Halset wrote:

    Hello.

    I could join working hours (CET) next week, but my weekend are
    full. Buying/Selling house, getting baby #2 and so on.

    - Tore.
    On May 4, 2007, at 18:10, Kevin Menard wrote:

    Let's shoot for 3PM my time then. That'll allow me to make sure I'm
    back home and what not.

    Anyone else care to join?

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupdev @
categoriescayenne
postedApr 27, '07 at 5:32p
activeMay 5, '07 at 7:30a
posts20
users6
websitecayenne.apache.org

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase