Grokbase Groups Cayenne dev July 2006
Hi All,

its great to see Cayenne progressing well to the 1.2 Final release.

There are two topics or items I would like to see added/modified the
Cayenne documentation.

1. Discussion on Web DataContext design patterns.

My experience is that it is not well understood that with the
DataContext is held in the session any changes to objects which aren't
committed in a request will be carried through in the session and will
be committed in a subsequent request commitChanges().

Outlining alternative patterns such as a default rollback in a custom
DataContext Filter would be very useful. This is the pattern I use,
after discussions on this list, and its extremely useful.

2. Many to Many / Flatterned Relationships

I think this topic needs some additional discussion or example steps on
how to create these relationships. Its not immediately obvious for a newbie.

I think these updates will be quite helpful as Cayenne soon goes out to
a wider audience of new users.

I can provide some of this content if requested.

regards Malcolm Edgar

Search Discussions

  • Andrus Adamchik at Jul 11, 2006 at 8:16 pm
    Hi Malcolm,
    I can provide some of this content if requested.
    Please do that, this would be awesome. I think you have Wiki karma? I
    would only request to edit each page locally and then load it to Wiki
    in one shot, to make the review easier. Also you've probably already
    noticed those hidden {excerpt} sections that we are using to build
    the table of contents:

    http://objectstyle.org/confluence/display/CAY/Documentation+Guidelines

    Andrus

[...]

  • Kevin Menard at Jul 12, 2006 at 12:02 am
    In a fairly recent Confluence update, the concept of personal spaces was
    added. This would probably be a nice way for people to work on things
    "locally" with all the benefits of Confluence. Then, when all is good, do a
    page move.

    --
    Kevin

    I can provide some of this content if requested.
    Please do that, this would be awesome. I think you have Wiki karma? I
    would only request to edit each page locally and then load it to Wiki
    in one shot, to make the review easier. Also you've probably already
    noticed those hidden {excerpt} sections that we are using to build
    the table of contents:

    http://objectstyle.org/confluence/display/CAY/Documentation+Guidelines

    Andrus
  • Andrus Adamchik at Jul 12, 2006 at 12:06 am
    Would be a nice feature to have. Though we were moving Confluence to
    Apache (and even signed up to help with testing of Confluence at
    ASF... I wonder how that goes?). So I guess we'll have to hold any
    upgrades on OS end until this is resolved.

    Andrus
    In a fairly recent Confluence update, the concept of personal
    spaces was
    added. This would probably be a nice way for people to work on things
    "locally" with all the benefits of Confluence. Then, when all is
    good, do a
    page move.

    --
    Kevin

    I can provide some of this content if requested.
    Please do that, this would be awesome. I think you have Wiki karma? I
    would only request to edit each page locally and then load it to Wiki
    in one shot, to make the review easier. Also you've probably already
    noticed those hidden {excerpt} sections that we are using to build
    the table of contents:

    http://objectstyle.org/confluence/display/CAY/Documentation+Guidelines

    Andrus

groupdev @