FAQ
At the time of our last update [1], I estimated it would be 4 to 6
weeks until a 0.7 beta. That was over 8 weeks ago. Although we've
never adhered to a strict release schedule, I'm feeling more and more
like we need to stop delaying getting what is already done into
peoples' hands.

Wide row support was the main "blocker" in my mind for 0.7, and that
was complete a month ago. [2] Basic secondary index support will be
also be done in the next few days (see subtasks to [3]). I propose
rolling a beta release next Friday and a release candidate two weeks
after that; anything not ready at that point can wait until 0.7.1 or
0.8.

The bad news is, vector clocks [4] and the Avro client api [5] will
probably not be ready for the beta but may be ready for the release
candidate. I would be okay putting those directly into the RC since
they are completely optional and will not affect users who want to
ignore them. (That is, more than they already have, with the Clock
struct in the Thrift API.) But I don't want to slip the schedule any
more to wait for them.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@cassandra.apache.org/msg00404.html
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-16
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-749
[4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-580
[5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-926

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra
co-founder of Riptano, the source for professional Cassandra support
http://riptano.com

Search Discussions

  • Chris Goffinet at Jul 25, 2010 at 2:56 am
    +1. Digg has been holding off until at least beta before testing. I'd love to start this as soon as possible.

    -Chris
    On Jul 24, 2010, at 7:49 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

    At the time of our last update [1], I estimated it would be 4 to 6
    weeks until a 0.7 beta. That was over 8 weeks ago. Although we've
    never adhered to a strict release schedule, I'm feeling more and more
    like we need to stop delaying getting what is already done into
    peoples' hands.

    Wide row support was the main "blocker" in my mind for 0.7, and that
    was complete a month ago. [2] Basic secondary index support will be
    also be done in the next few days (see subtasks to [3]). I propose
    rolling a beta release next Friday and a release candidate two weeks
    after that; anything not ready at that point can wait until 0.7.1 or
    0.8.

    The bad news is, vector clocks [4] and the Avro client api [5] will
    probably not be ready for the beta but may be ready for the release
    candidate. I would be okay putting those directly into the RC since
    they are completely optional and will not affect users who want to
    ignore them. (That is, more than they already have, with the Clock
    struct in the Thrift API.) But I don't want to slip the schedule any
    more to wait for them.

    [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@cassandra.apache.org/msg00404.html
    [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-16
    [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-749
    [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-580
    [5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-926

    --
    Jonathan Ellis
    Project Chair, Apache Cassandra
    co-founder of Riptano, the source for professional Cassandra support
    http://riptano.com
  • Stu Hood at Jul 25, 2010 at 8:14 pm
    The are a few tickets affecting the public API that Rackspace would really like to see make it into the 0.7-beta, since they will be very difficult to apply once a mass of people have gone through the readTablesFromYaml process.

    In particular, we'd like to see 1066, 1237 and the portion of 1271 modifying AccessLevel block 0.7-beta, but we're fairly certain these can be knocked out this week.

    Thanks,
    Stu

    -----Original Message-----
    From: "Chris Goffinet" <cg@chrisgoffinet.com>
    Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:56pm
    To: dev@cassandra.apache.org
    Cc: cassandra-dev@incubator.apache.org
    Subject: Re: Almost time for 0.7 beta?

    +1. Digg has been holding off until at least beta before testing. I'd love to start this as soon as possible.

    -Chris
    On Jul 24, 2010, at 7:49 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

    At the time of our last update [1], I estimated it would be 4 to 6
    weeks until a 0.7 beta. That was over 8 weeks ago. Although we've
    never adhered to a strict release schedule, I'm feeling more and more
    like we need to stop delaying getting what is already done into
    peoples' hands.

    Wide row support was the main "blocker" in my mind for 0.7, and that
    was complete a month ago. [2] Basic secondary index support will be
    also be done in the next few days (see subtasks to [3]). I propose
    rolling a beta release next Friday and a release candidate two weeks
    after that; anything not ready at that point can wait until 0.7.1 or
    0.8.

    The bad news is, vector clocks [4] and the Avro client api [5] will
    probably not be ready for the beta but may be ready for the release
    candidate. I would be okay putting those directly into the RC since
    they are completely optional and will not affect users who want to
    ignore them. (That is, more than they already have, with the Clock
    struct in the Thrift API.) But I don't want to slip the schedule any
    more to wait for them.

    [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@cassandra.apache.org/msg00404.html
    [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-16
    [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-749
    [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-580
    [5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-926

    --
    Jonathan Ellis
    Project Chair, Apache Cassandra
    co-founder of Riptano, the source for professional Cassandra support
    http://riptano.com
  • Vijay at Jul 26, 2010 at 6:49 am
    +1

    Regards,
    </VJ>


    On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Stu Hood wrote:

    The are a few tickets affecting the public API that Rackspace would really
    like to see make it into the 0.7-beta, since they will be very difficult to
    apply once a mass of people have gone through the readTablesFromYaml
    process.

    In particular, we'd like to see 1066, 1237 and the portion of 1271
    modifying AccessLevel block 0.7-beta, but we're fairly certain these can be
    knocked out this week.

    Thanks,
    Stu

    -----Original Message-----
    From: "Chris Goffinet" <cg@chrisgoffinet.com>
    Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:56pm
    To: dev@cassandra.apache.org
    Cc: cassandra-dev@incubator.apache.org
    Subject: Re: Almost time for 0.7 beta?

    +1. Digg has been holding off until at least beta before testing. I'd love
    to start this as soon as possible.

    -Chris
    On Jul 24, 2010, at 7:49 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

    At the time of our last update [1], I estimated it would be 4 to 6
    weeks until a 0.7 beta. That was over 8 weeks ago. Although we've
    never adhered to a strict release schedule, I'm feeling more and more
    like we need to stop delaying getting what is already done into
    peoples' hands.

    Wide row support was the main "blocker" in my mind for 0.7, and that
    was complete a month ago. [2] Basic secondary index support will be
    also be done in the next few days (see subtasks to [3]). I propose
    rolling a beta release next Friday and a release candidate two weeks
    after that; anything not ready at that point can wait until 0.7.1 or
    0.8.

    The bad news is, vector clocks [4] and the Avro client api [5] will
    probably not be ready for the beta but may be ready for the release
    candidate. I would be okay putting those directly into the RC since
    they are completely optional and will not affect users who want to
    ignore them. (That is, more than they already have, with the Clock
    struct in the Thrift API.) But I don't want to slip the schedule any
    more to wait for them.

    [1] http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@cassandra.apache.org/msg00404.html
    [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-16
    [3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-749
    [4] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-580
    [5] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-926

    --
    Jonathan Ellis
    Project Chair, Apache Cassandra
    co-founder of Riptano, the source for professional Cassandra support
    http://riptano.com

  • Brandon Williams at Jul 27, 2010 at 4:14 pm

    On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 9:49 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

    I propose rolling a beta release next Friday and a release candidate two
    weeks
    after that; anything not ready at that point can wait until 0.7.1 or 0.8.
    +1

    -Brandon
  • Bjorn Borud at Aug 27, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupdev @
categoriescassandra
postedJul 25, '10 at 2:49a
activeAug 27, '10 at 6:01p
posts6
users6
websitecassandra.apache.org
irc#cassandra

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2021 Grokbase