We have a concrete problem related to the SMTP component of Camel.

In one of our systems we need to distribute certain data of some size to customers via mail, our customers mail connections very often have strong restrictions on mail size, at the same time we don't have control over their mail setup, think satellite links. What we want to do is to pre split the outgoing mails to particular sizes (dependent on customer) using MIME message/partial . What I can't find is API support for this in Camel. At the time being we essentially have a few options (In prioritized order; the order of 2 and 3 is likely to change if 3 can be implemented fast):

1. Somebody points us to the relevant API (or we discover it ourselves)

2. Find some way of manipulating a mail server to do this for us, configurable via custom mail headers. (We will then have to find such a mail server and be able to configure it)

3. Write a component (Probably a bean) to spit a mail message based on MIME related RFCs. (Likely to be problematic as we need to find a solution fast.)

4. Handle the splitting on the application level. (Will have bad architectural consequences, the project will then switch character from integration to a maintenance project on a couple of components we would strongly prefer not to touch.)

Any hints related to solution 1 - 3 would be appreciated, having to go for 4 is bad news. 3 is OK if we are able to get it done fast, that is if we are able to get a tested solution within a couple of weeks. I consider the writeTo method of javax.mail.internet.MimeMessage a good start.

Search Discussions

  • Doug Douglass at Mar 6, 2012 at 9:51 pm
    Hmm, just thinking out loud, but can you split the data before it becomes
    (part of) an email? Then at least you can remove the dependency on the
    mail/MIME APIs.

    Doug

    P.S. Are you in Centenial? Many years ago I worked in the Maint. Docs dept.
    at Jepp,
[...]

groupusers @
categoriescamel
postedMar 6, '12 at 3:43p
activeMar 6, '12 at 9:51p
websitecamel.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Doug Douglass: 1 post Knut Aksnes-NOR: 1 post