Hi

As part of the upcoming Camel 2.15 we can now associate label(s) to a
Camel component, which allows us to use that to categorize the
components.

We have an outdated and fairly good attempt of grouping the component
in the wiki at: http://camel.apache.org/component-list-grouped.html

Though that listing has to be manually kept up to date. Instead I
wanted Camel itself to have that information at both design and
runtime.

Note: This requires the components to support the self-documentation,
which require components to be annotated with the @UriEndpoint and
@UriPath / @UriParam mappings.

On the master source code you can see the current one we have set so far

cd platform
cd catalog
mvn clean install

There is a maven plugin that outputs does a report to the console

So as of now we have

- 83 components that are self documenting
- 39 of those 89 has no label configured yet
- 50 of those has not properly set an @UriPath option
- We have so far 15 different labels
- .. and 76 components are not yet self-documented

So there is plenty of work still to have all of them covered.

What work is there to be done and how can I help?
Missing components detected: 76
The most work is with these. As they would need to be refactored to
use @UriEndpoint and for each of the options add @UriParam and/or
@UriPath.
Missing @UriPath detected: 50
These have a minor mistake as we need to map the uri path to an
option. Usually the error is that one of the options should be changed
from @UriParam to @UriPath. Or the uri path option is missing.
Missing labels detected: 39
These are the easiest. Or maybe the "hardest" as what is missing is to
add a label attribute to the endpoint class that has @UriEndpoint, and
give it a proper categorization. You can have 1 or more labels.

For example camel-hdfs I gave them label="hadoop,file"

See it in action
--------------------

The Camel Karaf commands has new commands to show the Camel category
to list all the components with their labels. Also there is new
commands to show the documentation of the components.

I did a few tweet with screenshots in action.

https://twitter.com/davsclaus/status/533275471828762625
https://twitter.com/davsclaus/status/531810893601177600

And wrote a blog post

http://www.davsclaus.com/2014/11/apache-camel-please-explain-me-what.html

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Search Discussions

  • Claus Ibsen at Dec 30, 2014 at 10:04 am
    Hi

    Just an update on the components with latest numbers

    Components found: 112
    Used labels: 45
    Missing components detected: 51

    So that mean we have migrated 112 components to be fully
    self-documented out of the box. We have categorized these components
    using 45 different labels. A component can have 1 or more label(s)
    associated.

    There are still 51 components to be migrated.

    To see the status yourself, you can do

    cd platforms/catalog
    mvn clean install

[...]

  • Claus Ibsen at Jan 6, 2015 at 2:57 pm
    Hi

    Just a note that all components now have been migrated. There is still
    a little bit of naming the categorizes etc.

    But we got 173 different camel components (schemes) that have been
    grouped with labels from a pool of 50 different labels.

[...]

  • Willem Jiang at Jan 7, 2015 at 2:56 am
    It’s a big movement to make Camel components self documented.
    Thanks for Claus who made this happened.
    I just have a quick question for the camel-extra components.
    Do we have any plan to update these components?

    --
    Willem Jiang

    Red Hat, Inc.
    Web: http://www.redhat.com
    http://jnn.iteye.com (Chinese)
    Twitter: willemjiang
    Weibo: 姜宁willem

[...]

  • Claus Ibsen at Jan 12, 2015 at 5:45 am

    It’s a big movement to make Camel components self documented.
    Thanks for Claus who made this happened.
    I just have a quick question for the camel-extra components.
    Do we have any plan to update these components?
    Yeah that would be a good idea for Camel Extra release 2.15.0.

    The project would need to add these 2 maven plugin so it generates the
    documentation.

    https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/pom.xml#L262
    https://github.com/apache/camel/blob/master/components/pom.xml#L292

    --
    Willem Jiang

    Red Hat, Inc.
    Web: http://www.redhat.com
    http://jnn.iteye.com (Chinese)
    Twitter: willemjiang
    Weibo: 姜宁willem

[...]

  • Claus Ibsen at Jan 14, 2015 at 2:55 pm
    Hi

    Just an update that we now have same kind of documentation for the
    eips, data formats and languages as well. In other words we have them
    all covered.

    The camel-catalog contains all the information in a single JAR that
    makes it easier for tool providers to have it all from a single
    resource; and also used by Camel itself by the Camel commands in
    Karaf.

[...]

groupdev @
categoriescamel
postedNov 17, '14 at 3:59p
activeJan 14, '15 at 2:55p
websitecamel.apache.org

2 users in discussion

Claus Ibsen: 5 posts Willem Jiang: 1 post