Grokbase Groups Avro user August 2010
I'd like to ask if whoever is in charge of the Ruby packaging of Avro
would be so kind as to upload the missing latest releases (1.3.1,
1.3.2, 1.3.3) to RubyGems.org:

http://rubygems.org/gems/avro

At present, anybody installing the Ruby implementation using `gem
install avro` will be obtaining the 1.3.0 release, which has issues
that manually installing the 1.3.3 release fixed for me.

Also, without new releases being pushed to RubyGems.org as a matter of
course, it is not possible for users to effectively add a dependency
on the Avro gem. Suppose I wanted to publish a Ruby library "foobar"
that depended on avro >= 1.3.3; when my users attempted to install my
gem with `gem install foobar`, the installation would fail since the
Avro dependency could not be resolved and obtained, not being
registered with RubyGems.org. This state of affairs is certain to
adversely affect uptake of Avro amongst the Ruby community.

In case nobody is currently in charge of the Ruby packaging, I'd be
happy to contribute where I can.

Best regards,
Arto

--
Arto Bendiken | http://ar.to/

Search Discussions

  • Jeff Hodges at Aug 16, 2010 at 4:52 pm
    Yeah, lemme get on this today.
[...]

  • Jeff Hodges at Aug 18, 2010 at 8:12 am
    Pushed out avro 1.3.3. Will be documenting the process tomorrow.
[...]

  • Arto Bendiken at Aug 18, 2010 at 12:38 pm

    Pushed out avro 1.3.3. Will be documenting the process tomorrow.
    Thanks, Jeff, much appreciated!

    --
    Arto Bendiken | http://ar.to/

groupuser @
categoriesavro
postedAug 16, '10 at 7:28a
activeAug 18, '10 at 12:38p
websiteavro.apache.org
irc#avro

2 users in discussion

Jeff Hodges: 2 posts Arto Bendiken: 2 posts