Grokbase Groups Avro dev October 2011
I have created a candidate build for Avro release 1.6.0.

Changes are listed at:

http://s.apache.org/BZt

Please download, test, and vote.

http://people.apache.org/~cutting/avro-1.6.0-rc0/

The Maven staging repository is at:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheavro-095/

Thanks in advance for voting!

Doug

Search Discussions

  • Doug Cutting at Oct 26, 2011 at 10:09 pm
    +1 Checksums match and tests pass. Documentation looks good.

    Doug
    I have created a candidate build for Avro release 1.6.0.

    Changes are listed at:

    http://s.apache.org/BZt

    Please download, test, and vote.

    http://people.apache.org/~cutting/avro-1.6.0-rc0/

    The Maven staging repository is at:

    https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheavro-095/

    Thanks in advance for voting!

    Doug
  • Thiruvalluvan M G at Oct 27, 2011 at 6:01 pm
    On Ubuntu 11.10
    Verified checksum
    Built for all languages
    On Windows
    Built .NET (csharp)
    Java
    On Cygwin
    Verified checksum
    Built C++, C

    All passed except the following two:
    1. Java fails on Windows in mapred tests. Hadoop is not able to change file
    permission. It appears that Hadoop FS no longer works on Windows. E.g.

    java.io.IOException: Failed to set permissions of path:
    \tmp\hadoop-mthiru\mapred\staging\mthiru-2056660275\.staging to 0700
    at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileUtil.checkReturnValue(FileUtil.java:682)
    at org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileUtil.setPermission(FileUtil.java:655)
    at
    org.apache.hadoop.fs.RawLocalFileSystem.setPermission(RawLocalFileSystem.jav
    a:484)
    at
    org.apache.hadoop.fs.RawLocalFileSystem.mkdirs(RawLocalFileSystem.java:319)
    at
    org.apache.hadoop.fs.FilterFileSystem.mkdirs(FilterFileSystem.java:189)
    at
    org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.JobSubmissionFiles.getStagingDir(JobSubmissionFi
    les.java:116)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient$2.run(JobClient.java:848)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient$2.run(JobClient.java:842)
    at
    org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.ja
    va:1059)
    at
    org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJobInternal(JobClient.java:842)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.submitJob(JobClient.java:816)
    at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.JobClient.runJob(JobClient.java:1253)
    at
    org.apache.avro.mapred.TestAvroTextSort.testSort(TestAvroTextSort.java:51)

    Should we give up on mapred for windows? I'm fine with that. But so far our
    Java port has been working well under Windows. I wouldn't block the release
    because of this, because, after all, it appears to be a problem outside
    Avro. +1 from me.

    2. CSharp port does not build on Ubuntu 11.10. That is because we use
    "Client profile" and it is not supported by Mono. We don't really need the
    client profile. I'll file a Jira and sumbit a patch for that. This looks to
    be a blocker. The CSharp port used always work under Ubuntu + mono. Since
    Ubuntu 11.10 is the latest, I think we should support it. -1 from me.

    Thanks

    Thiru