Hello,

This is my first attempt at posting to the users mailing list so my apologies if I've made a mistake in my approach.

I have integrated mod_cache into my application successfully and can confirm it is working properly by monitoring the cacheroot directory and by noting cached response headers on my requests (such as receiving an out of date max-age value even after changing the corresponding mod_headers value in my httpd.conf).

I feel I could offer a significantly better value proposition for Production usage, however, if I were able to generate a log of cache-hit vs. cache-miss statistics for my application such as the functionality documented in the Apache 2.3 beta here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.3/mod/mod_cache.html#status

I have seen some of the solutions proposed on google, such as the SetEnv CACHE_MISS 1 solution proposed by Alex Polvi/Paul Querna but would prefer a native approach if possible. There is also a section in the 2.3 docs under conditional logs that references this process but nothing I could find for 2.2.

My question is, has anybody experienced a similar requirement and know if it would be possible to implement the 2.3 logging functionality into the 2.2 module? I admit I am not much of a Developer, but if someone had already attempted this or could provide some high-level guidance I might be able to modify the module and re-build it.

Thanks,
James Rapp
Senior Ecosystem Quality Manager, Global Ecosystem and Delivery Partners,   AGS Primary Support

  • Igor Galić at Dec 3, 2011 at 11:57 am

[...]

    I might be the wrong person to speak up here, since I've switched
    for my caching needs to Apache Traffic Server, I'll do it anyway.

    2.4 is closing in on being released. Real Soon Now.

    If the features in 2.3/2.4 are the ones you need, I'd take a serious
    look at it. In particular because everything concerning logging
    in 2.3/2.4 is not really back-portable since it has been completely
    reworked.

    Latest 2.4.0 release plans:
    http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/httpd-dev/201112.mbox/%3c201112030048.19359.sf@sfritsch.de%3e

    Thanks,
    James Rapp
    Senior Ecosystem Quality Manager, Global Ecosystem and Delivery
    Partners,   AGS Primary Support
    So long,

    Igor Galić

    Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
    Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org
    GPG: 6880 4155 74BD FD7C B515 2EA5 4B1D 9E08 A097 C9AE