I have a very simple setup: Apache back-end server running behind Apache reverse proxy server.
Using 2.2.21 and running on Windows XP.

Generally, it is working as expected - traffic reaching back-end via proxy and responses from back-end server returning to the client.
Basic and Digest authentication working fine (based on AuthType value)

The problem:    When I send wrong credentials, proxy server replies with error 401 instead of 407, and sending "Authentication" header instead of "Proxy-Authentication" header.

Below the changes I added to default configuration file:

--------------
LoadModule auth_digest_module modules/mod_auth_digest.so
LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so

ProxyRequests off

<Location /mirror/1/>
AuthType Basic
AuthDigestDomain /
AuthDigestAlgorithm MD5
AuthDigestNcCheck Off
AuthName "WS Group@ipoffice"
AuthUserFile C:/pwd.txt
Require valid-user
ProxyPass http://135.20.77.88/
ProxyPassReverse http://135.20.77.88/
</Location>

Include conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf

  • Tom Evans at Nov 16, 2011 at 12:50 pm

    I have a very simple setup: Apache back-end server running behind Apache reverse proxy server.
    Using 2.2.21 and running on Windows XP.

    Generally, it is working as expected - traffic reaching back-end via proxy and responses from back-end server returning to the client.
    Basic and Digest authentication working fine (based on AuthType value)

    The problem:    When I send wrong credentials, proxy server replies with error 401 instead of 407, and sending "Authentication" header instead of "Proxy-Authentication" header.
    Why is that unexpected? It's a reverse proxy, not a forward proxy. It
    would only send Proxy-Authentication if it was a forward proxy.

    Cheers

    Tom

  • Boris B at Nov 16, 2011 at 1:26 pm
    Tom, thank you.
    Boris

    I have a very simple setup: Apache back-end server running behind Apache reverse proxy server.
    Using 2.2.21 and running on Windows XP.

    Generally, it is working as expected - traffic reaching back-end via proxy and responses from back-end server returning to the client.
    Basic and Digest authentication working fine (based on AuthType value)

    The problem: When I send wrong credentials, proxy server replies with error 401 instead of 407, and sending "Authentication" header instead of "Proxy-Authentication" header.
    Why is that unexpected? It's a reverse proxy, not a forward proxy. It
    would only send Proxy-Authentication if it was a forward proxy.

    Cheers

    Tom

  • Boris B at Nov 17, 2011 at 5:43 pm
    Hi,

    I am trying to setup very basic forward proxy.
    I have changed configuration file as follows:

    LoadModule auth_digest_module
    modules/mod_auth_digest.so

    LoadModule proxy_http_module
    modules/mod_proxy_http.so

    LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so

    ProxyRequests On
    ProxyVia On

    <Directory />
    AuthType Basic
    AuthDigestDomain /
    AuthDigestAlgorithm MD5
    AuthDigestNcCheck Off
    AuthName "WS Group@ipoffice"
    AuthUserFile C:/pwd.txt
    Require valid-user
    </Directory>

    I am still getting 401 instead of 407!
    And generally, from the way it works, I do not think that server is configured as proxy

    Do I miss anything?

    Thank you,
    Boris

    I have a very simple setup: Apache back-end server running behind Apache reverse proxy server.
    Using 2.2.21 and running on Windows XP.

    Generally, it is working as expected - traffic reaching back-end via proxy and responses from back-end server returning to the client.
    Basic and Digest authentication working fine (based on AuthType value)

    The problem: When I send wrong credentials, proxy server replies with error 401 instead of 407, and sending "Authentication" header instead of "Proxy-Authentication" header.
    Why is that unexpected? It's a reverse proxy, not a forward proxy. It
    would only send Proxy-Authentication if it was a forward proxy.

    Cheers

    Tom

  • Igor Cicimov at Nov 17, 2011 at 11:27 pm
    So where are your Proxy commands?
[...]

  • Boris B at Nov 18, 2011 at 2:54 pm
    They are missing:)
    I also had problems with my client not sending correct proxy requests - resolved now.

    Thank you,
    Boris