I have a question.
Can Apache Proxy Balancer use other parameter except JSESSIONID for stickysession ?

For example, like following httpd.conf.

-----------
ProxyPass / balancer://mycluster/ lbmethod=byrequests timeout=5 stickysession=TESTID nofailover=On
ProxyPassReverse / balancer://mycluster/

<Proxy balancer://mycluster/>
BalancerMemeber host1 route=123
BalancerMemeber host1 route=456
</Proxy>
------------
I tried this, and at backend,
AP1 set TESTID=xxx.123 into cookie,
AP2 set TESTID=xxx.456 .

this cannot make stickysession.

However, I changed it from TESTID to JSESSIONID,
it succeeded stickysession.

So I think Apache Proxy Balancer use only JSESSIONID, is it true ?

Thanks and regards,
Kenji

  • Rainer Jung at Sep 15, 2010 at 2:34 pm

    Can Apache Proxy Balancer use other parameter except JSESSIONID for stickysession ?

    For example, like following httpd.conf.

    -----------
    ProxyPass / balancer://mycluster/ lbmethod=byrequests timeout=5 stickysession=TESTID nofailover=On
    ProxyPassReverse / balancer://mycluster/

    <Proxy balancer://mycluster/>
    BalancerMemeber host1 route=123
    BalancerMemeber host1 route=456
    </Proxy>
    ------------
    I tried this, and at backend,
    AP1 set TESTID=xxx.123 into cookie,
    AP2 set TESTID=xxx.456 .

    this cannot make stickysession.

    However, I changed it from TESTID to JSESSIONID,
    it succeeded stickysession.

    So I think Apache Proxy Balancer use only JSESSIONID, is it true ?
    No, it is expected to work the way you tried.

    Which exact version of Apache are you using?

    You can log

    - the value of the "TESTID" cookie
    - the value of the five environment variables describeson the page

    http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_proxy_balancer.html#environment

    by adding them to the log format of your access log.

    In addition you can increase the Apache LogLevel to debug, which makes
    the proxy module log quite verbosely. It should be easy to find the root
    problem using the additional output.

    Regards,

    Rainer

  • FUNASAKI KENJI at Sep 16, 2010 at 8:21 am
    Thank you, Rainer.

    I could solve this issue.

    Thanks and regards,
    Kenji