hello, I don't mean to be a bother :-), but I'm having trouble with 'index
of /' ; I searched the apache docs, user

groups, and the mailing list...what do we do to just serve up
'index.html'?Removing 'Index' from the"Options'

directive causes an error(?)...

I am running w2kpro, w/adsl connection, and have a dynamic IP solution. When
I edited my conf to remove 'Index'

from Options, I opened my browser and went to my site. I got the apache
error page,"FORBIDDEN", tried

several times, same result. This is what posted to my error log:

[Tue Oct 15 09:19:32 2002] [error] [client 216.78.179.37] Directory
index forbidden by rule: C:/Program

Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/

Why would I need permission to access a website? My conf for global reads:

ServerAdmin diversetec@bellsouth.net
ServerName www.dtsmusic.no-ip.com:80
UseCanonicalName Off
DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs"

<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride none
</Directory>

<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs">
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

...seems to me that 'allow from all' covers that(?).

I'm having trouble w/ vhost, too, since we have dynamic IP, I used the
wildcard for namevirtualhost,(*), do I

understand this?
I researched this heavily,too, and still not working. Further, when I try to
start apache after the edit, I get an error

box:

" The requested operation has failed! "

I tried uncommenting all the directives in the vhost block, one at a time,
restarting after each save, and found that

the DocumentRoot Directory line was causing the problem. This is my conf:

NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost *>
ServerAdmin diversetec@slowchildren.no-ip.com
DocumentRoot Directory /htdocs/www.slowchildren.no-ip.com
ServerName slowchildren.no-ip.com
ErrorLog logs/slowchildren.no-ip.com-error_log
CustomLog logs/slowchildren.no-ip.com-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

...is there an obvious error here? I'm not sure of the syntax, or whether I
understand the description from

apache.org doc:

[ This directive sets the directory from which httpd will serve files.
Unless matched by a directive like Alias, the

[ server appends the path from the requested URL to the document root to
make the path to the document.
[ Example:
[ DocumentRoot /usr/web
[ then an access to http://www.my.host.com/index.html refers to
/usr/web/index.html.
[ There appears to be a bug in mod_dir which causes problems when the
DocumentRoot has a trailing slash
[ (i.e., "DocumentRoot /usr/web/") so please avoid that.

...[example of my(?) understanding of
this]...request:http://www.slowchildren.no-ip.com is received, and the path

is completed with what I enter for DocumentRoot Directory...( I know that
I'm reading from the wrong doc from

apache, all I could find).

Sorry for the long post, hope I don't seem TOO ignorant, and you have all
the free musical support you'll ever
need from this moment on!
Thank you in advance,
Michael Whitney
Diversetec@bellsouth.net

  • Boyle Owen at Oct 16, 2002 at 7:57 am
    I think you are mixing up two directives..

    Options Indexes

    means you are allowing directory-indexing. That is, you browse to a URL
    like http://server/banana/ and then you see a directory listing of the
    contents of /path/to/docroot/banana. This is what you commonly see when
    you browse a download directory like http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/.

    DirectoryIndex foo.html

    means that if you give apache a URL leading to a directory (i.e. with no
    filename specified) it will search for "foo.html" and, if it finds it,
    serve this by default so http://server/banana/ will return
    /path/to/docroot/banana/foo.html. You can give a list of files here and
    apache will serve the first it finds. If it doesn't find any you get a
    Forbidden (because indexing is not allowed).

    You can combine the two, in which case apache will serve foo.html if it
    exists or, if it doesn't, it will give a directory listing.

    In either case, to see any file in any directory, you must "Allow"
    access to it with:

    <Directory /path/to/docroot/>
    All from all
    </Directory>

    NB - this is a very friendly setting; you may wish to be more
    restrictive, see docs for details.
[...]

    views of the sender's company.

  • Michael Whitney at Oct 17, 2002 at 1:08 pm
    Thank you Mr. Owen! This was a partial solution, the remainder was a dns
    issue, I have that 'resolved' now.
    I appreciate your patience and insights.