Ant is just a java application ... I think the standard binary distro should work?

But not bootstrapping under AIX is another problem.

Jan
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Arnault BELLINA
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 7. Dezember 2005 09:21
An: user@ant.apache.org
Betreff: Installing ant on AIX 5.2

Hi all !

I'm trying to install Apache ant 1.6.5 on AIX 5.2. I
unpacked the tar file and I tried as mentionned in the
Building ant Manual to build ant from sources.

However when i build ant with the script build.sh I had a
problem with the underscript bootstrap.sh :

I get this error :

./build.sh -Ddir.dist=ant dist

... Bootstrapping Ant Distribution
... Compiling Ant Classes
./bootstrap.sh[130]: /usr/java14/sh/javac: arg list too long
... Failed compiling Ant classes !
Bootstrap FAILED

I find that the problem come from the code :

"${JAVAC}" $BOOTJAVAC_OPTS -d ${CLASSDIR}
${TOOLS}/bzip2/*.java ${TOOLS}/tar/*.java ${TOOLS}/zip/*.java \
${TOOLS}/ant/util/regexp/RegexpMatcher.java \
${TOOLS}/ant/util/regexp/RegexpMatcherFactory.java \
${TOOLS}/ant/types/*.java \
${TOOLS}/ant/taskdefs/compilers/*.java \
${TOOLS}/ant/taskdefs/condition/*.java \
${TOOLS}/ant/*.java ${TOOLS}/ant/taskdefs/*.java
ret=$?
if [ $ret != 0 ]; then
echo ... Failed compiling Ant classes !
exit $ret
fi

I try to separate the instruction in two part but I get a
new error when the build.sh script use the build.xml file.

Is there any solution to correct the JAVAC compilation to
make it works ? Is there anybody who had this error. Or does
it exist some binary of ant that works on AIX 5.2

Thanks a lot

Arnault

  • Antoine Levy-Lambert at Dec 7, 2005 at 7:57 pm
    Hello Arnault,

    you can open a bug report on http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla (see our
    web site, bug database).
    If you can offer us a patch for bootstrap.sh, it is appreciated.

    Cheers,

    Antoine

    Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
[...]

  • Arnault BELLINA at Dec 8, 2005 at 10:29 am
    Hello Antoine,

    I found where the problem is.
    On AIX there is a limitation of the argument list Size.

    What i had to do is on AIX 5, to change the size of my command line buffer:
    smitty chgsys

    and look at the end of the list for "ARG/ENV list size".

    Default used to be 24K characters, and can now go up to
    1/2 MB. It's a system-wide change and affects the footprint
    of every process

    Arnault

    Antoine Levy-Lambert <antoine@gmx.de> a écrit : Hello Arnault,