You're definitely right...
On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 08:17 -0700, Llewellyn Falco wrote:
um, or you could do nothing, and simply use java's string.split

#foreach($number in $roleids.split(","))
$number
#end

llewellyn.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Claude Brisson" <claude@savoirweb.com>
To: "Velocity Developers List" <velocity-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Cc: <isidore@setgame.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 4:33 AM
Subject: Re: Help me - how to split the variable value in velocity

This is a user-list question, next time use the velocity-users list
please.

You can put an instance of org.apache.commons.lang.StringUtils in your
context and use the split method :

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/lang/api/org/apache/commons/lang/StringUtils.html#split(java.lang.String,%20java.lang.String)

--
Claude
On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 05:16 -0600, Veerappan Sridhar wrote:
Hi,
Pls help me how to retrieve a set of values from velocity.
Example:
str="1,2,3,4,5"
from str i want to retrieve the value 1 2 3 4 5 , the values only not
the commas.
i have used substring :
#set ($val4 = $roleids.substring(6,7))
val4: <b>$val4</b>
but the str value will be dynamic, so i cant directly know how many
characters are there..like
sometime it may be
str="1,2,3,4,5"
or
str="1,2,3,4,5,6,7"
or
str="1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9"
like this.
so how to make it general .

Thanks in Advance
pls provide ur input

isidore@setgame.com 06/22/05 3:38 PM >>>
ok, so we have a few velocity tools that make life very nice, i would
like
to add these in.

ContextAware
this is a simple interface that allows you to merge and cascade
controllers.

VelocityParser
with contextAware this allows for nice simple calls to merge templates
in
different forms, with common context tools.

then we have changes to the uberspect, which i believe should by
default be
loaded in the dev core.
TestableUberspect - throws an exception when you try to call a context
or
method that does not exist.
at least 99% of the time, if you call a method that does not exist, it
is a
typo. this makes it very noticeable. of course this shouldn't go to the

deployment default, as it's best to fail silently if errors make it to
that
side.

Error messages tend to be incorrectly formed here.

Personally, i like velocity. Even gave a talk on it at my local JUG,
but if
it is too grow then you will need developers to join and contribute.
Here
you have one, who's just asking for a hand getting started...

Llewellyn.