OK, I downloaded the binary. My error is different,
but it still does not start up:

[groot@coda logs]# more catalina.out
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
at
java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:200)
at
java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
Method)
at
java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:188)
at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)
at
java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:251)
at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:202)
at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:390)

--- Mark Eggers wrote:
Tomcat comes as a binary. Just download the binary
distribution. See:

http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi#5.5.12

On linux, I normally create a special user for
Tomcat
and make it a mamber of the same group that the user
that runs Apache is under. This is www for Fedora
Core 4.

I usually install Java under /opt or /usr, and then
link the current Java version to /opt/java or
/usr/java. I then put /opt/java/bin or
/usr/java/bin
the path BEFORE /usr/bin, since Fedora Core 4
installs
GNU's Java. This is not a bad thing, but setting up
the path in /etc/profile is a good thing.

Just a few thoughts. I hope this gets you started.

/mde/

--- brown wrap wrote:
I had been trying to avoid actually building Tomcat,
was trying to use a Linux binary.

For additional commands, e-mail:
users-help@tomcat.apache.org

Sign: Day old sushi, half off.