Hi there,

my situation is as follows:
there's a large svn repository
svn+ssh://someserver/reps/maindir/
I only work with the subdirectory
svn+ssh://someserver/reps/maindir/old_dir/foobar/what_I_work_with

such that I used to check it out with
svn co
svn+ssh://someserver/reps/maindir/old_dir/foobar/what_I_work_with

what_I_work_with got moved by the maintainers of the main repository
in revision r123456 to

svn+ssh://someserver/reps/maindir/new_dir/foobar/what_I_work_with

now I can check it out with

svn co
svn+ssh://someserver/reps/maindir/new_dir/foobar/what_I_work_with

in newlocation, commands like "svn log", "svn blame", ... still work,
I see commit messages from before r123456 and changes from r900 are
correctly reported by svn blame.

what does not work is

cd what_I_work_with
svn up -r900

since maindir/new_dir/foobar/what_I_work_with doesn't exist in r900.

Also the alternate approach checking out what_I_work_with doesn't work
since the directory doesn't exist in the trunk

svn co
svn+ssh://someserver/reps/maindir/old_dir/foobar/what_I_work_with

neither did switching work:

cd what_I_work_with
svn switch ..../old_dir/...

Also, I'm hesitant to check out svn+ssh://someserver/reps/maindir due
to the large overhead of stuff in there which I don't need (in fact I
found it a strong part of svn that subdirectories of a repository are
repositories themselves).

Is there any way to check out or update to revision r900?
I don't think so. Since the canonical "name" of an item in the repository is a
combination of the full path and the rev number
(^maindir/new_dir/foobar/what_I_work_with@123456) you can't update a
path to a revision in which that path didn't exist.

You would have to check out rev900 from the original path.

You could try:

Svn co -r 900 ^maindir/new_dir/foobar/what_I_work_with@123456

But, I'm not sure if that will work.

BOb
Oh, and you can of course check out the deleted path... just provide the peg revision...

Svn co ^path/to/file@900

BOb

groupusers @
categoriessubversion