TIL that you can specify the timezone in the definition for a datetype
column! How did I overlook this for all this time?! This is such a
good thing. Unfortunately, now I have to make sure it doesn't
interfere with all the workarounds I've put in place to deal with lack
of UTC timezone. Thanks for the tip!

Sadly, I don't have an answer to your question but I would find it
very, very useful as well. Perhaps the DateTime inflator would be a
good place to look and/or patch?

Drew