It would be kind of nice to see the code these benchmarks were run on to get and idea of where the bottlenecks actually are.

Sent from my iPhone
On Jul 2, 2012, at 8:21 AM, Marc Espie wrote:
On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 07:33:38AM +0000, Dami Laurent (PJ) wrote:
Hi DBIC list,

For info, I gave a talk at the French Perl Workshop 2012
about comparing DBIx::Class (DBIC) and DBIx::DataModel (DBIDM);
at this occasion I did a few benchmarks that may be worth sharing
with you :

Extract & print 2 columns from a single table (109349 rows)
- raw DBI 0.43 secs
- DBIC regular 11.09 secs
- DBIC hashref inflator 10.06 secs
- DBIC 'raw data' (cursor) 4.48 secs
- DBIDM regular 4.00 secs
- DBIDM fast statement 2.25 secs

Join 3 tables & print 4 columns from the join (113895 rows)
- raw DBI 1.36 secs
- DBIC regular 46.70 secs
- DBIC, join & +columns 15.50 secs
- DBIC, join & +columns, hashref inflator 14.17 secs
- DBIC, join & +columns, 'raw data' (cursor) 6.59 secs
- DBIC, prefetch 146.29 secs
- DBIDM regular 5.01 secs
- DBIDM fast statement 3.28 secs

I was not surprised to find out that DBIC is slower
than DBIDM :-) ; however, I was quite surprised to
find out that, among DBIC mechanisms :

a) 'HashRefInflator', often advocated as being the fast way to get
data from DBIC, actually doesn't seem to bring any significant
benefit.
b) 'prefetch', also advocated for doing speed improvements, indeed
does its job of sparing queries to the database, but then has
such a high cost in handling the retrieved data that it becomes
the most expensive method.
c) 'cursor', which goes directly to the DBI layer and therefore
loses all ORM features for the retrieved data, nevertheless
adds a significant cost over raw DBI.
Not so much a surprise... a bit sad, though.

Compare Tim Bunce's presentation of DBI (which does emphasize that speed
is really important) with the mostly "don't care about performance at all"
in DBIx::Class.

I know that I've given up on DBIx::Class myself, precisely because there's
such a huge overhead (most of which isn't really that explainable, actually,
there's something as over-generality).

Question: did you consider adding more classes to your study ? I'm thinking
of John Syracusa's Rose framework, which
- is quite a lot cleaner than DBIx::Class
- doesn't try to include the kitchen sink.