On 30 Jan 2009, at 08:56, Carl Franks wrote:

2009/1/29 Ash Berlin <ash_cpan@firemirror.com>:
On 29 Jan 2009, at 22:03, Carl Franks wrote:

Is it okay to use $result_source->column_info('name')-
{_inflate_info}
to test whether a column is inflatable / deflatable?
It seems a bit too reliant on internals, to me.

Or should there be a has_inflatable_column('name') method?

(and is that what it should be called? do we really also need a
'has_deflatable_column' too?)

If someone makes a call, I'll write up a patch for it.

Carl
There doesn't seem to be a public way to determine this, and indeed
accessing anything starting with an _ indicates badness.

First things first - what exactly do you care if a column is
inflated or
not?
In HTML-FormFu-Model-DBIC, I can't just use get/set_column(),
otherwise in/deflators won't get called.
So I've had to document that people can't name fields after DBIC
built-in methods such as 'delete', otherwise when we call $row->$name
it'll trash your db.

What I'd like to do is allow the use of any name, by doing something
like this:

$value = $row->result_source->has_inflated_column
? $row->get_inflated_column( $name )
: $row->get_column( $name );

$row->result_source->has_inflated_column
? $row->set_inflated_column( $name, $value )
: $row->set_column( $name, $value );

I can't just use get/set_inflated_column() for everything, as it
croaks if there's no in/deflator for a column.

And why can't you just do $row->$name() or $row->$name($value) ? (I'm
sure there's a reason, I'm just curious as to what it is.)
Secondly, do you treat relationships as inflated or not?
'fraid I'm not really sure what that means.
I generally just use something like
@rows = $row->$rel;

Well relationships are kind of like inflate columns in that they are
likely to have an integer as the raw value, but get turned into an
object or several.

-ash

groupdbix-class @
categoriesperl, catalyst