DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader it is!

Many thanks

On Feb 8, 2008 1:43 PM, Matt S Trout wrote:
On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 09:52:28AM +0000, Frazer Irving wrote:

On Feb 8, 2008 7:59 AM, Matt S Trout wrote:

What business requirement is leading you to want on-demand loading?
Oops sorry about that last reply.

Basically I work on a poorly structured application, the in-house method of
determining the columns for a table is to query the INFORMATION_SCHEMA of
the mysql database at runtime, or to embed column names in SQL
statements
(eww). I have opted to place the results of INFORMATION_SCHEMA queries in
__PACKAGE__->add_columns but this is going to result in a lot of
unnecessary
DB calls. I think I will write some additional code to pre-cache the column
names somewhere.
Why don't you just use DBIx::Class::Schema::Loader ?

That can dump column and rel info to disk, or grab it at startup, and
supports
only doing so for some tables.
In the interim, can you tell me if my approach of placing calls to
DB::Main->load_classes inside the body of DB::Main::Foo a sane approach? I
happened upon it through experimentation.
Sane? ... well, I don't think anything that requires that approach is
sane.
But once you -do- require something like that, it's probably not so
horrific
a way of making it work :)

--
Matt S Trout Need help with your Catalyst or DBIx::Class
project?