Thanks for the suggestion. Compiling my own perl build was really a last
ditch option I regarded as admitting defeat, i.e., fixing / finding the
actual problem wa deemed to difficult.

Late last night, after going through the build logs in much greater detail,
I noticed that a number of packages were asking for module builder of a
recent vintage. Turns out that this was the root of the problem. Module
builder needed to update itself, however, somewhere along the line, module
builder broke its ability to update itself more than one point release at a
time. Once I fixed this, Catalyst updated just fine.