The flash is moved to the stash after the redirect, and then it's gone after
that, right?

What we do is stuff the intended destination into the session and then pull
it from there:

sub login : Chained('/') PathPart('login') Args(0) {
my ( $self, $c ) = @_;

my $form = Spill::Form::Login->new( action => $c->uri_for('/login') );

$c->stash(
template => 'login.tt2',
form => $form,
);

if ( $c->action ne 'login' ) {
# Stuff destination into session for later redirect if user
authenticates
* $c->session->{redirect} = $c->req->uri->as_string;*
}

...then, later, after authenticating...

my $go = *delete( $c->session->{redirect} )* ||
$c->req->headers->referer;
$go = '/' if $go =~ /\blog(in|out)\b/;
$c->res->redirect( $go );
$c->detach;