On 11 Oct 2009, at 11:59, Octavian R?snita wrote:

From: "dab" <dab@catapulse.org>
Thank you all for your answers. It was very helpful.
What about the database? If starting from a certain revision you
need
to make some database changes (adding tables, adding/deleting some
table fields) how can we automate this?

I mean, I think that we could run a script that add some tables and
remove the unneeded fields from other tables, but if something goes
wrong and we need to go back to the previous version, we would need
the records from those fields.

What can we do in these situations? Do the database update and the
tests manually? Or back-up the entire database and then test the
latest version of the app?

Thanks.

Octavian
DBIx::Class::Schema::Versioned perhaps ?

Dab
I don't know... Does anyone use it?

I read in its POD docs that "At the moment, only SQLite and MySQL
are supported.", however in the past I've seen that when creating
MySQL queries from a DBIC schema, some fields were wrongly created,
including the size when not needed, like
date date(10),
so they should be corrected manually. Because of this, I don't know
if this tool can be used for do the change automaticly...
(Or was this issue solved since then?)

Octavian
refactoring

Schema::Versioned uses SQL::Translator under the hood to do its job.
Work has been done to make SQL::T v1 better, and as part of this years
Google Summer of Code, Justin Hunter was the internals to make it
easier to fix problems. So the problems should either be fixed
already, or be fixed soon.

-ash

groupcatalyst @
categoriescatalyst, perl