On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 4:58 AM, Matt S Trout wrote:
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 01:54:12PM -0500, Michael Reddick wrote:
Does anyone have any advice for migrating a large mod_perl app that has no
tests to catalyst?

I already know of Catalyst::Controller::WrapCGI which seems to be a good
start.
Assuming your app doesn't use apache specific stuff.

What I tend to recommend in such cases is to start writing new
functionality
in Catalyst as FastCGI and just map chunks of the URI space across to the
new stuff. When you need to significantly alter the old code, port it
first.

Eventually you'll just have a Catalyst+FastCGI codebase, and you'll have
had
working code at every stage.
I've done similar things, and my new method is to have a two tiered
application where my Cat app sits in front of legacy, and on unhandled URLs
throws a 404. The front-end proxy (Varnish, in my case) then restarts the
request against the next backend, which is the mod_perl system.

Then, when I put in new features in Catalyst if the URL is changed I can
simply put in a permanent redirect and everything just works.

This is roughly a new technique, and lacking some fine tuning points, but so
far I'm very happy with it. I wrote up a posting about my implementation
(which has some other nits):
http://our.coldhardcode.com/jshirley/2009/04/varnish-and-movabletype-for-co.html

-J