I've been meaning to dig into the everything2 code (which powers
perlmonks I think, amongst other things ..) and see how they do the
cross ref stuff. They seem to have a pretty nice "node" abstraction
which is the core of the problem, I think.

the membership stuff relies on a common API, I guess. Doesn't claco
have a project that addresses that?