On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 05:50:21PM +0100, Simon Wilcox wrote:
Matt S Trout wrote:
On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 03:14:58PM +0100, Ian Docherty wrote:
Almost, if I do my $used_password =
$c->model('DBIC::UsedPassword')->result_class->create_limited();

it works. So that should do for now, thanks Simon and Will for your help
;)
No. Don't do that.

Really don't.

It's utterly broken.
Thanks. I'm not as familiar with the interaction of DBIx::Class and
Catalyst::Model::* as you are (obviously, I didn't write 'em :) but from
here:

http://search.cpan.org/~ash/DBIx-Class-0.08007/lib/DBIx/Class/ResultSet.pm#result_class

I find:

result_class

Arguments: $result_class?
Return Value: $result_class

An accessor for the class to use when creating row objects.
Defaults
to result_source->result_class - which in most cases is the name of
the "table" class.

This seems to be the right behaviour to me. Can you summarise why it is
not ?
No, result_class behaves perfectly.

Trying to create a record via a class method is WRONG. This is not Class::DBI.
Don't do it.

Collection methods should go on resultset objects. Always.

Class method stuff will easily break in all sorts of fun ways because DBIC
isn't designed to work like that.
So would the original be better written as:

$c->model('DBIC::UsedPassword')->class->create_limited(); # ?

If it's not this then the docs are really confusing and I'd really
appreciate it if you could provide the correct usage or approach for
this situation.
The docs are correct.

That's just completely the wrong place for the create_limited method.

Technical Director Want a managed development or deployment platform?
Shadowcat Systems Ltd. Contact mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk for a quote
http://chainsawblues.vox.com/ http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/

groupcatalyst @
categoriescatalyst, perl
postedSep 13, '07 at 10:27a