On Thursday 16 August 2007 14:32, Tobias Kremer wrote:
Quoting Bernhard Graf <catalyst2@augensalat.de>:
You should definitely do that. Not only for this case - daemontools
(or similar like runit) are superior for nearly every server
service on *ix OSes. Check out
http://smarden.org/runit/runscripts.html and compare the scripts
with typical System-V run scripts (not mentioning the supervision
concept in general).
I suppose that the whole fcgi-pm process will be restarted instead of
individual fcgi processes, correct? That'd mean a downtime of about 5
seconds which would render it useless to me :(
No. The softlimit applies to each of the processes forked by the master,
so each process is terminated if it gets too fat.
Why two FCGI process managers? To compensate FCGI downtimes? Did
you find a way to tell lighttpd not to talk to an FCGI process that
is down? I only get a 500 error in that case.
I just _hope_ that lighttpd will do the right thing as the error log
tells me this when a backend server goes down:

connect failed: Connection refused on unix:/srv/webapp.socket
backend died; we'll disable it for 5 seconds and send the request to
another backend instead: reconnects: 0 load: 1
Just by setting multiple "socket" entries in the lighttpd-conf?

--
Bernhard Graf

groupcatalyst @
categoriescatalyst, perl