On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:12, Marek Majkowski wrote:
On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 20:04, Ken Baltrinic
wrote:
We are attempting to use the amqp basic property "timestamp" via the
RabbitMQ java client (see code below) to record the point in time when
the message gets sent. ?However, we are finding that when a message is
pulled from the bus, the timestamp property of the retrieve message
has had its milliseconds component dropped. ?We are using rabbitmq
2.7.1 with erlang R15B. ?Is this a bug or by design? Other than using
our own headers, is there a better way to do this? ?We would love it
if Rabbit itself would provide this timestamp as it would eliminate
issues with client clocks not being in sync.
AMQP spec says:
4.2.5.4 Timestamps
Time stamps are held in the 64-bit POSIX time_t format with an
accuracy of one second. By using 64 bits we avoid future wraparound
issues associated with 31-bit and 32-bit time_t values.
So, as far as you're using the built-in timestamp field, it will be
rounded to a second. Sorry.
Of course nothing is topping you from sending a custom header
with an arbitrary data type (float, string or long long). That way
you could send the timestamp data in any format you wish.

Marek

grouprabbitmq-discuss @
categoriesrabbitmq
postedFeb 22, '12 at 8:04p
activeFeb 23, '12 at 11:15a
websiterabbitmq.com
irc#rabbitmq

2 users in discussion

Marek Majkowski: 2 posts Ken Baltrinic: 1 post