On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Reverend Chip wrote:
I have a four-node 2.7.1 cluster. ?I just started experimenting with
mirrored queues. ?One queue is mirrored across nodes 1&2, a second queue
is mirrored across nodes 3&4. ?I've been feeding a lot of large messages
through, using delivery-mode 2. ?Most of the messages I've purged, since
the reader process can't keep up yet.

Here's the problem: Memory usage. ?Nodes 1 & 3, presumably the master
nodes for the queues, have maintained a normal memory profile, 3-6GB.
But nodes 2 & 4, the presumable slaves, have had their memory grow to
58GB each. ?Worse, when I purged and then even deleted the queues, the
memory usage did not go down. ?It seems I may have to reboot these nodes
to get the memory back, and obviously I can't use mirrored queues if
they're going to make my nodes do this, which is disappointing. ?I do
have a workaround involving alternate exchanges, but the workaround can
leave data stranded if a node is lost forever.

Is there any other info I can provide to help diagnose and/or fix this?
I think we're experiencing the same thing. Previously, we were seeing
a memory leak in 2.6.1 which was patched[1] in subsequent releases.
Since then, we've upgraded to 2.7.1 as well and we're seeing slowly
growing memory usage on our slaves that requires us to restart the
slaves periodically to keep the memory usage down.

In our case, we're using only two nodes with mirrored queues.

Travis

[1] this patch http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-server/rev/89315378597d
fixed our memory leak in 2.6.1. worked great when we applied just the
patch to 2.6.1. it has to be something different in 2.7.1 causing
this new memory leak though.

--
Travis Campbell
travis at ghostar.org