"Gavin M. Roy" <gmr at myyearbook.com> writes:
So some more color, I decided to dive deeper into this to see what I could
find. The short version is I jumped into erl using -remsh and ran
erlang:garbage_collect(). and saw an immediate drop in that inactive
memory.
By inactive memory, you mean that measured by the "Inactive" line in
/proc/meminfo?
I am using R14B01. I am reluctant to let that inactivity hit the upper
bounds of my ram, but at the same time, I want to see if the erlang vm is
just allocating until it can't and then will reclaim usage.
Inactive memory, in the Linux MM sense, is merely memory that has been
touched less recently, and would therefore be more eligible to be
reclaimed when the kernel wants to free up memory. Unless you are
looking into the internal details of Linux memory management, it is not
a particularly interesting number. It is completely unrelated to erlang
VM memory allocations, and certainly does not indicate a memory leak.

David

--
David Wragg
Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ