On 15/04/11 15:44, Gavin M. Roy wrote:
I wanted to check if there are any potential adverse effects of using
custom arguments in a queue declaration. Specifically I am looking at
adding three arguments to our queues:

x-monitor: bit
x-monitor-warn: int
x-monitor-critical: int

I've tested this on a non-production box and didn't notice any adverse
effects but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Will this do
anything bad under-the-covers in Rabbit?
No. Arguments that are not recognised are ignored.

For the record, unrecognised arguments do not count towards exchange
equivalence, so if you issue two otherwise identical queue.declares with
arguments:

x-monitor: true

and

x-monitor: false

then the second will go through and return the first queue, whereas if
you do the same thing with arguments:

x-expires: 1000

and

x-expires: 2000

then the second queue.declare will fail.

Of course, you may not care about this.
I did notice that the values show up in the Parameters section in the
Management plugin Web UI in an less than ideal fashion.
What don't you like about it? :) It does wrap a bit much in the listings
I suppose.
Also, Is there a way to update arguments without deleting/redefining the
queue?
No, afraid not.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ

grouprabbitmq-discuss @
categoriesrabbitmq
postedApr 15, '11 at 2:44p
activeApr 15, '11 at 3:54p
websiterabbitmq.com
irc#rabbitmq

2 users in discussion

Simon MacMullen: 2 posts Gavin M. Roy: 2 posts