On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 8:14 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
And the NNTP clients and protocol were designed from the ground up to
handle largish volumes of messages grouped into "lists" and threads.
Trying to coax that functionality out of e-mail by using list-servers
and various procmail and e-mail client tricks results is a pretty poor
substitute.

Or you use a client like Gmail that just organizes messages into
threads for you without the user needing to do anything at all to set
it up. It works quite well, and I've been using Gmail for so long now
that I tend to forget that most MUAs *don't* do this automatically.