On 12/12/2013 20:40, Shyam Parimal Katti wrote:
Hello,

I have a list of sql queries, some which are split across multiple list
elements e.x.
['drop table sample_table;', 'create table sample_test', '(col1 int);',
'select col1 from', ' sample_test;']

A semi-colon in the string value indicates the termination of a sql
query. So the expected out come is a conversion to a list of valid sql
queries:
['drop table sample_table;', 'create table sample_test (col1 int);',
'select col1 from sample_test;']

Here is the code that does that:

sample = ['drop table sample_table;', 'create table sample_test', '(col1
int);', 'select col1 from', ' sample_test;']
pure_sqls = []
query_holder= ''
for each_line in sample:
query_holder += each_line
if query_holder.endswith(';'):
pure_sqls.append(query_holder)
query_holder = ''

Is there a way to do this by eliminating explicit creation of new
list(pure_sqls) and a temporary variable(query_holder)? Using list
comprehension? Though I don't want to put the shorter version in
production(if it is difficult to understand), I am looking if this can
be done with list comprehension since I am trying to learn list
comprehension by using it in such scenarios.

I don't think this can be done with a list comprehension. As you appear
to have a perfectly good piece of code, if it ain't broke, don't fix it
:) Maybe change one line.

if query_holder[-1] == ';':

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence