Roy Smith <roy@panix.com> writes:
Henry Law wrote:
On 17/11/13 14:37, E.D.G. wrote:
All of my own important programs are written using Perl. I am starting
to run into calculation speed limitations with one of the programs.
Your Perl code is, er, sub-optimal. There is absolutely no point in
doing benchmarks until you've improved the code.
Having spent many years in science (molecular biology), I disagree with
this sentiment.

Scientists view computer programs as tools, no different from any other
piece of lab equipment or instrumentation they use. When picking a tool
to use, it's perfectly reasonable to evaluate what performance you can
get out of that without having to be an expert in its use. If I'm using
a spectrophotometer, there may be many things that instrument is capable
of doing, but as long as I'm getting the data I need from it, it's
serving my purpose. My goal is to do science, not to be an expert on
optics, or electronics, or data processing.

The same goes for programming languages.

Indeed it does. So, while your comfortable with BUYING spectrophotometers
built by people who know how to do that, why on earth do you insist on
hacking your own 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' crap code together to
evaluate the data INSTEAD of concentrating on 'the science'?