Ulrich Goebel <ml@fam-goebel.de> writes:

I have an object (a variable) name

This confuses me. Is it an object, a variable, or a name?

which gets its value from a PostgreSQL database via a SELECT
statement, an it sometimes has german special characters as ?, ?, ?...

What is the type of that object? You can interrogate Python for the
answer, by using ?type(foo)? which will return the type of the object
named by ?foo?.

Then I would like to insert that value into a table in a SQLite
database. So I make a cursor cur on the table and prepare a SQL
statement like this:

sql = 'insert into tbl values(?)'
cur.execute(sql, (name,))

What version of Python are you running?

Do you get different results in Python 2 versus Python 3? One of the
biggest improvements in Python 3 is the proper handling of Unicode, with
more explicit rejection of ambiguity between bytes versus text.

--
  \ ?The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part |
   `\ of the face.? ?Jack Handey |

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedNov 5, '13 at 1:27a