What's New in ActivePython-126.96.36.199
New Features & Upgrades
- Upgrade to Python 2.5.6 (`release notes
- Upgrade to Tcl/Tk 8.5.9 (`changes <http://wiki.tcl.tk/26961>`_)
- [Windows] Installer upgrade: automatically uninstall previous versions - Bug #87783
- [Linux] Include Tcl/Tk development files (`#40`_)
- [Windows] Upgrade to PyWin32 CVS snapshot as of 2011-01-16
- Security upgrade to openssl-0.9.8r
Noteworthy Changes & Bug Fixes
- [MacOSX] Fix uninstall on Snow Leopard (10.6)
- Bug #87600: create a `idleX.Y` script on unix
- [Windows] Renamed "python25.exe" to "python2.5.exe" (Unix like)
- [Windows] Include "python2.exe"
What is ActivePython?
ActivePython is ActiveState's binary distribution of Python. Builds for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux are made freely available. Solaris, HP-UX and AIX builds, and access to older versions are available in ActivePython Business, Enterprise and OEM editions:
ActivePython includes the Python core and the many core extensions: zlib and bzip2 for data compression, the Berkeley DB (bsddb) and SQLite (sqlite3) database libraries, OpenSSL bindings for HTTPS support, the Tix GUI widgets for Tkinter, ElementTree for XML processing, ctypes (on supported platforms) for low-level library access, and others. The Windows distribution ships with PyWin32 -- a suite of Windows tools developed by Mark Hammond, including bindings to the Win32 API and Windows COM.
ActivePython also includes a binary package manager for Python (PyPM) that can be used to install packages much easily. For example:
C:\>pypm install numpy
See this page for full details:
As well, ActivePython ships with a wealth of documentation for both new and experienced Python programmers. In addition to the core Python docs, ActivePython includes the "What's New in Python" series, "Dive into Python", the Python FAQs & HOWTOs, and the Python Enhancement Proposals (PEPs).
An online version of the docs can be found here:
We would welcome any and all feedback to:
activepython-feedback at activestate.com
Please file bugs against ActivePython at:
ActivePython is available for the following platforms:
- Windows (x86 and x64)
- Mac OS X (x86 and x86_64; 10.5+)
- Linux (x86 and x86_64)
- Solaris/SPARC (32-bit and 64-bit) (Business, Enterprise or OEM edition only)
- Solaris/x86 (32-bit) (Business, Enterprise or OEM edition only)
- HP-UX/PA-RISC (32-bit) (Business, Enterprise or OEM edition only)
- HP-UX/IA-64 (32-bit and 64-bit) (Enterprise or OEM edition only)
- AIX/PowerPC (32-bit and 64-bit) (Business, Enterprise or OEM edition only)
More information about the Business Edition can be found here:
Custom builds are available in the Enterprise Edition:
Thanks, and enjoy!
The Python Team
sridharr at activestate.com