I'd be inclined toward the second solution if I'm writing all the code
myself, but very definitely the first if someone else might write one
of the subscripts (especially so if this is going to be distributed
widely) - spawning a new process means that the system's isolation of
processes keeps your system safe. If you don't need that measure of
protection, I would still surround the import and check() call with
try/except and gracefully handle any errors.
I'm with Chris, if the config_scripts are going to be implemented in
Python always, the second solution is better for me as the operative
system is less involved. But if you would like to have scripts with
different nature, the first one is best. What about to implement the
two alternatives depending on the config_script type?

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedJun 20, '11 at 4:13a
activeJun 21, '11 at 12:34a