* Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn (Thu, 12 May 2011 22:22:20 +0200)
Thorsten Kampe wrote:
I'm using optparse for a little Python script.

1. The output from "--help" is:
"""
Usage: script.py <arg>

script.py does something

-h, --help show this help message and exit
"""

I would prefer to have the description before the usage, like...
"""
script.py does something

Usage: script.py <arg>

-h, --help show this help message and exit
"""
[...]
Is that possible with either optparse or the "new kid on the block"
argparse. If so how?
You can easily have #1 with optparse.OptionParser(usage="?")?, but optparse
is deprecated in favor of argparse.ArgumentParser.
I'm already using usage. That's where optparse has it from. Putting the
usage message into the description and vice versa is of course not a
viable way to go.

Thorsten

grouppython-list @
categoriespython