Thorsten Kampe wrote:

I'm using optparse for a little Python script.

1. The output from "--help" is:
"""
Usage: script.py <arg>

script.py does something

-h, --help show this help message and exit
"""

I would prefer to have the description before the usage, like...
"""
script.py does something

Usage: script.py <arg>

-h, --help show this help message and exit
"""

2. The output from "--doesnotexit" is:
"""
Usage: script.py <arg>

script.py: error: no such option: --doesnotexist
"""

I would prefer to have the error first, then the usage and additionally
the options, like...
"""
script.py: error: no such option: --doesnotexist

Usage: script.py <arg>

-h, --help show this help message and exit
"""

Is that possible with either optparse or the "new kid on the block"
argparse. If so how?
You can easily have #1 with optparse.OptionParser(usage="?")?, but optparse
is deprecated in favor of argparse.ArgumentParser. I do not think you can
have #2 with either optparse or argparse: OptionParser() would print the
error message last, and ArgumentParser() would not print the description
on error. Subclassing ArgumentParser might be feasible, though.

______
? <http://PointedEars.de/devel/tools/text/odfinfo/>
--
PointedEars

Bitte keine Kopien per E-Mail. / Please do not Cc: me.

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedMay 12, '11 at 1:38p
activeMay 21, '11 at 9:53p