I'm trying to get a handle on how python intersects with
crypto-related export control laws in the US and elsewhere. My current
understanding, per the PSF's wiki, is that any crypto related and
potentially export-sensitive code is in the ssl wrapper, and that, in
fact, this only links to the actual encryption implementation
(presumably libssl or something.) One caveat is that windows
installations may include the ssl implementation.

Does this effectively sum up python's exposure to export laws? On a
technical level, does removing the ssl module from a distribution
remove all references to encryption? Of course I'm not asking for
actual legal advice, but can anyone think of any other part of the
code that might run afoul of export rules? Thanks.

Austin

grouppython-list @
categoriespython
postedSep 25, '09 at 6:56a